Fink install

Duncan Idaho

Registered
I know this is somthing stupid, but I am new at the Unix side. I have installed Fink following the directions on the website. My problem is that when I type a command such as "fink install gimp," I get the error message

fink: Command not found.
[localhost:~] jackass% fink install gimp

OK? find install gimp?

Anyone have any idea what I have done wrong?

thanks

What method did you use to install Fink? That is, did you install it with the standard installer, or did you do it through the Terminal?

The problem right now is Terminal.app doesn't know about Fink yet. I'm going to guess that you haven't finished setting things up. Check out http://fink.sourceforge.net/doc/users-guide/install.php and in particular make sure you've followed the instructions for Section 2.3, "Setting Up Your Environment".

Tell us how it goes, and if there's still a problem we'll try to help you from there.

P.S. It's not a stupid question. Everyone's a beginner sometime.

Originally posted by Duncan Idaho
I know this is somthing stupid, but I am new at the Unix side. I have installed Fink following the directions on the website. My problem is that when I type a command such as "fink install gimp," I get the error message

fink: Command not found.
[localhost:~] jackass% fink install gimp

OK? find install gimp?

Anyone have any idea what I have done wrong?

thanks

The binary is at "/sw/bin/fink" so you could do a:
[localhost:~] jackass% sudo /sw/bin/fink install gimp

Have you included /sw/bin/init.csh in your .cshrc file? You need to place it at the very top of your .cshrc file "source /sw/bin/init.csh" You need to include that then type "rehash" to update your current session or open a new session.

If you have fink in the directory /sw/bin/, everything should be all right, I guess. Your problem is that the shell doesn't know how to find it, so you can either write explicitely

sudo /sw/bin/fink install gimp
instead of
sudo fink install gimp

or, better, you create a file called '.cshrc' in your home directory
(as explained in the link given to you by Red Phoenix) with the following line in it

source /sw/bin/init.csh

(I am not sure whether a return at the end is needed). You save .cshrc, close the terminal window and reopen it, and it should now work just fine without having to tell your shell the explicite path of fink, this is given by init.csh.

If you look at the file in /sw/bin/init.csh, you will see that the path is set by

set path = ( /sw/bin .... )

Hope this works

Back