Fink Problem

holt9106

Registered
I am currently running Mac OS X 10.0.4 on a Revision B iMac and have successfully installed xfree86 4.1.0 with no problems (although I haven't installed any patch to run in rootless mode yet). I would like to be able to install and run the Gimp but I am having problems with the package installer, Fink 0.2.2. When trying to install Fink everything goes fine until it tries to get the dpkg file. It attempts to get dpkg-1.8.3 which no longer exists on Debian's server. The current version seems to be 1.9.2 but the install script will not finish even after I've put the 1.9.2 file into /sw/src per the instructions I get from the install script. I am sure other people must be having this same problem and that there is a very simple solution. Would anyone please mind sharing it with me? Keep in mind that I am a Mac end user and not very savvy with Unix. :p

Also, what is the current state of patches for xfree86 4.1.0 to run in rootless mode?

David Holt

What command are you using to try and install? I remember that there are various commands to just build and install. I'll look it up when I get a chance (it's in one of the files that comes with fink).

-Bruce Adcock

Scratch what I said. A visit to the Fink message archives shows that this is actually a pretty big problem. One solution mentioned was to grab the latest copy off of the CVS server, but I'm going to wait until version 0.2.3, myself (I picked up this problem just now by typing "fink fetch-all", which appears to have deleted my old copy of the source.)

-Bruce Adcock

Thanks, this worked like a charm. I had to delete my original installation of Fink, because bootstrap.sh refused to do anything otherwise. This seems to have cleared up another issue I was having, which was that everything would compile, but then it said it did not have the right permissions to move files over (forcing me to do that all by hand.) Now, everything works like a charm. I might even take a look at XFree 4.1, now.

-Bruce Adcock

I was able to find the right dpkg file at fink.sourceforge.net upon the advice I was getting through the fink-user mailing list. Everything works great now! I've installed both the Gimp and Enlightenment with the only minor problem was being forced to manually download the right libtiff package to put into /sw/src. Everything is very quick and responsive. My next goal is trying to get xfree86 4.1.0 to run rootless. I've tried the rootless patch recommended by Macgimp.org but it crashes immediately on launch. Has anyone gotten 4.1.0 to run rootless yet?

David Holt
davidholt@mac.com

Back