fink problems

jamall

Registered
I've used fink to install Xfree86, but now I can't get it to start up. Here is my terminal:

Welcome to Darwin!
[localhost:~] jamall% startx

xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): no server "X" in PATH

Use the -- option, or make sure that /usr/X11R6/bin is in your path and
that "X" is a program or a link to the right type of server
for your display. Possible server names include:

XFree86 XFree86 displays
XDarwin Darwin/Mac OS X IOKit displays
XDarwinQuartz Mac OS X Quartz displays
XDarwinStartup Auto-select between XDarwin and XDarwinQuartz

giving up.
xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.
[localhost:~] jamall%

I'm new to this stuff, and don't really understamd what's going on. I'm trying to get emacs running so I can program in eiffel. Please help!

Hi,

I just got it to work using fink.

First I installed xfree86-base, then I installed xfree86-rootless. Once the rootless thing was installed, I noticed that there was an XDarwin application in my applications folder. I double clicked on that and a dialogue box comes up asking whether I want rootless mode or full screen. You can pick either.... but either way it worked for me. Be sure to install a decent window manager or you will get stuck with the functional but oh so yuckky TWM.... Try Windowmaker or Afterstep... they seem to work nicely.

Hope that helps.

BSDimwit

thanks BSDimwit
i got Xfree86-rootless running and i'm playing with the different window managers. what i really want to do is use emacs to write in eiffel. i've got emacs running and i've seen the eiffel web pages but am unsure what to download and what i would then do with it. if anyone has any knowledge in this area please help!

Back