Fink

sKu.nK

Registered
Hi all

I've recently installed Fink on my Mac. Everything going fine until yesterday.

I'm trying to use ethereal - now to use the GUI of this application I belive you need some sort of X Window manager.

I manged to install all the libraries required to use tethereal but when I try opening ethereal I get

Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

Now when I was installing and getting the ethereal package I had 3 choices
1 xfree86-base:
2 system-xfree86:
3 system-xtools:

I Just pressed enter and then it installed all the required libraries.

I wasn't sure which option to select as I am currently running XDarwin so that I can test and try OpenOffice

Has anyone got any ideas so that I don't get any conflicts with this

Which one should I install or is this Fink problem to do with something else

???

TIA

:D

you need to install a placeholder package for x11 if you have x-darwin installed. I think it's called "system-xfree86". ethereal works great for me. btw you might wanto try OroborOsx for a window manager so your x-windows look a little bit more "aqua".

Hi

Thanks for the reply but ... I just ran ./fink list and ...

i system-xfree86 4.1-5 Placeholder package for manually instale...

it shows this as already being installed

So again I try <B>./ethereal</B> and I get the same message again

Am I doing something wrong ????

have you started x-darwin? If its starts properly you should see at least one terminal window.
are you typing your commands in an x-window terminal or in terminal.app ? You can't start x-apps from terminal.app unless you configure it to do so.

Please tell me if I am doing anything wrong

1 I click on XDarwin in the Dock
2 I get a screen up where I can select "Full Screen" or "Rootles"
3 I select Full Screen
4 I then click on Show X11
5 I then have an X-Term window and another shell window in front of me in front of me
6 I SU to root
7 cd /sw/bin
8 ./ethereal
9 I get this again

[/sw/bin : root]#

Hmmm

:confused:

Hmm

I now just tried again

If I run ./ethereal as ordinary user it loads the application but won't let me start capturing as device could not be initiated /dev/bpf0 (permission denied)
please check you have suficient permissions and the proper interface or pie specified

I checked that interface was set to en0

If I run it as root again I get the

hmmm

Hi again

I've now tried eeactly the same again

but first trying etheral as normal user and then SU to root and now it works

Oh well

:)

What that error message says is that your DISPLAY environment variable is not set. If it were set, its contents would have followed the colon in the error message.

Trying to run X clients as another user can be a tricky problem. You might have some luck with the sux script, but I haven't tried it using MacOS X. It works well for my Linux systems, though. Here's sux: http://fgouget.free.fr/sux/

I've had good luck running ethereal as root from Terminal. You do have to set the DISPLAY environment variable by hand to do that, though, since Terminal is not controlled by any X server. Assuming you have exactly one X server running on your local system:

For tcsh/csh, you can add this to your .cshrc:
Code:
if (! $?DISPLAY) then
  setenv DISPLAY :0.0
endif

For bash, you can add this to your .bashrc:
Code:
if [ x$DISPLAY = x ]; then
  export DISPLAY=:0.0
fi

Since Terminal logs on for every window you open, you probably need an additional snippet in your .bash_profile if you're running bash:

Code:
if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
  source ~/.bashrc
fi

That'll cause login shells to source in .bashrc as well as .bash_profile.

Hope this helps.

(edit: did not at first notice that the question was regarding running from a xterm and not Terminal, so I added a bit at the top)

Back