Finked up

iGuy

just me
Dear Folks:

I am having problems with Fink installing the apt-get tar balls using Fink’s bootstrap.sh

I hate to look so dumb; but, not having .deb packages motivates me to ask if anyone can walk me through Fink for OSX 10.2.1? [Jag]

Please include where you retieved the Fink installer and what you did.

Downloading, checking dependencies and compiling is getting to be such a drag; I would so much like to have a dselect approach!

Thanks,
iGuy

For installing Fink, I suggest downloading the stand-alone install package from version-tracker. The instructions on fink.sourceforge.net are aimed at those of us who actually know unix pretty well, but there is a simple installer available that does the job well. Also, FinkCommander makes it very easy to figure out the ins and outs of getting packages installed ... though the interface is pretty confusing.

Fink hasn't quite been updated to operate under Jaguar yet ... but it is not hard to tweak a couple of settings to get it to work correctly.
The critical problem is that the path to the executables (/sw/bin and /sw/sbin) is not set under 10.2 for some reason. You can work around this by adding the following line to your .login file in your home folder:

set path= ( /bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/local/bin /usr/sbin /sw/bin /sw/sbin )

You will have to log out and back in to get it to take effect.

There are also going to be probs because the man-paths (paths to the man documentation files) aren't set either. I haven't been bothered to dip in and find this yet, but I'm sure the solution is pretty similar.

Once you've done that, you should have no major hassles running Fink under 10.2, though it will take some time for the software to be fully up-to-date and compatible.

iGuy,

If you want to install Fink from scratch in 10.2 follow the instructions here:

http://fink.sourceforge.net/news/jag-bootstrap.php

Or if you have a previous Fink installation and want to 'upgrade' Fink for 10.2 follow the instructions here:

http://fink.sourceforge.net/news/jaguar.php

However, binaries for 10.2 are not yet available. You will have to install from source with the command 'fink install packagename' .

Soon, they will release Fink 0.5.0 which is geared for 10.2 and you will be able to install binary packages.

symphonix wrote:
Fink hasn't quite been updated to operate under Jaguar yet ...
The critical problem is that the path to the executables (/sw/bin and /sw/sbin) is not set under 10.2 for some reason.
There are also going to be probs because the man-paths (paths to the man documentation files) aren't set either.
Fink works very well under Jaguar, just install from source.
In MacOSX pre-10.2, Apple had a great default configuration for tcsh.
In 10.2, the default configuration is unusable, so everybody has to create their own configuration, and the result is a chaotic mess. It's not a Fink created problem.

Cheers...

i went the bootstrap-way, and have had no problems... I saved some files from my pre-10.2 configuration (profile and .bashrc for example) which had all paths in there...

Well, I went back to http://fink.sourceforge.net/;
and lo and behold what did I find before my eyes?

"Users are cautioned to use the binary installer for Fink 0.4.1 only once on a given machine. Due to an apparent bug in Apple's Installer.app program, attempting a second installation on the same machine can result in permissions being altered in the machine's root directory, in some cases leaving the machine in a non-bootable state.

If Installer.app presents you with an "Upgrade" button rather than an "Install" button when installing Fink 0.4.1, do not proceed any further! "

I guess the acronym 'RTFM' applies to me too.

Thanks for the help, and sorry for the trouble.

... now if I can just get my bash shell problem solved...

Originally posted by sao
iGuy,

If you want to install Fink from scratch in 10.2 follow the instructions here:

http://fink.sourceforge.net/news/jag-bootstrap.php...
I had several problems:

1) Step 3
Code:
./bootstrap.sh
<a bunch of lines omitted>
checking for working aclocal... found
checking for working autoconf... found
checking for working automake... found
checking for working autoheader... found
checking for working makeinfo... found
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... cc
checking whether the C compiler (cc  -L/sw/src/gettext-0.10.40-3/gettext-0.10.40/intl/.libs -L/sw/bootstrap/lib) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables.
### execution of ./configure failed, exit code 1
compiling gettext-0.10.40-3 failed
2) Step 5a
Code:
pico ~/.cshrc
Unknown terminal type network!

3) Step 5b
Enter this line in ~/.cshrc
"source /sw/bin/init.csh"

I did this with BBEdit as root, but that directory/file does not exist...

TommyWillB,

1-Problem step 3:

Most surely, your developer tools are too old. Make sure you have the "July" 2002 dev tools and also the "August" update installed. If you think you already installed them, reinstall them.

2-Problem step 5a and 5b (together):

Open terminal.app, first make sure you are in your home directory, type:

cd

Then you want to create the file .cshrc with the editor pico (you don't need root), type:

pico .cshrc

When pico opens the file, then type:

source /sw/bin/init.csh

To get out of the editor, press control-O, return, control-X. Close the Terminal.app window and open a new one.

Then, don't forget step 6 (the last step) and in a newly opened terminal.app, type:

'fink selfupdate-cvs'

Cheers...

Back