FireWire Cable

twister

Howdy
Is a FireWire Cable a FireWire Cable? I forgot my iPod cable at home but i have a firewire CDRW here at work. Can i just use the CDRW FireWire Cable on my iPod?

Twister

I can't speak for certain, as I don't have an iPod and haven't looked at it's cable that closely. But for the most part, yeah. A FW cable is a FW cable is a FW cable.

(Naturally, there are different FW connections like that for a DV camera, but if it plugs in it should work.)

No No Firewire cable is not Firewire cable
there are two different cables/plugs a 4 pin and a 6 pin
they both fit every firewire plug but you have to remember
4 pins are for data transfer and 2 pins are the power if you are useing
iPod with a 4 pin Firewire cable you will run out of battery
allso you are not able to load the battery with a 4 pin Firewire cable
just a hint

RIght, but the point is, if the plug fits, you must aquit... or something like that.... I use my iPod with multiple FireWire cables from different devices all the time.

Well i'm using the CDRW cable and it seems to work. iPod show up on my HD and it says it charging.

Twister

Indeed... it's a standard issue firewire cable... it's just nicer because it's more flexible and pretty...

Ever notice the power cables that come with your machine are the same way? Much nicer than the crap you get with the rest of your perhipherals...

Apple out to sell them in the Apple Store...

Sorta off-topic...

I have a Canon Mini-DV camcorder with firewire cable. The end that plugs into the mac is normal. The part that plugs into the camcorder is tiny. I originally thought this was done to conserve space but now you guys got me thinking. Does anyone know the tech specs on this cable? The tiny connector I'm speaking of is kinda U-shaped and I've not seen one elsewhere.

ya, that's the 4-pin fw cable that scube was talkin' about... 4 pins for data, and two for power... since the camera is powered by a battery or an a.c. adapter, it doesn't need the other two...

I have an interesting cable that came with my web cam. It is USB1 at the computer end, but the other is identical (i.e. exactly the same) as a 4pin firewire. Is this a standard cable (with a name)?

Many thanks in advance,

R.

Firewire cables and USB cables have different plugs, but they are all the same :)

The small Firewire Plug is also known as i-link from Sony...

The USB web-cam cable is like USB printer cables... they come usually as an AB type of cable... A stands for the normal plug... B for the square shaped one...

It's just a matter of shape... nothing to worry about...

I have an iPod too... and I usually plug it at work with a cable from an external HD... no problems at all :D

Ciao

Back