Firewire drive kills 10.4

aicul

Registered
I've installed 10.4 and since then my firewire drive crashes OSX.

When hot-plugged the screen goes light grey and a message says I should restart the mac by presing for some time on the power button. I tried starting the mac with the firewire drive connected, same problem, same recommendation.

I checked the firewire ports with another firewire device. They work.
I tested the firewire drive on another mac, it works too.

Any Ideas?

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Try starting up with your Tiger install DVD and attaching the drive as your Mac begins to startup or after it starts up (the latter first, and both if necessary). If the drive doesn't show up, then try mounting it. If you ever get it to showup, then try repairing disk and permissions on it. And, as suggested, updating your drive's firmware might help.

I just remembered about a thread that gives 2 possible solutions if your drive is the appropriate type of Maxtor--file deletion and driver installation. The thread also identifies general steps to take if the problem is the firewire port(s). So, particularly if you have a Maxtor, then you may want to go here.

It is a maxstor and I did use the fix and the drive now works. Seems the problem is known by maxstor.

What got me somewhat upset is that as a registered user with maxstor (and having indicated mac osx as my system) I would have welcome some type of email alert. For a few instants I thought my backup/recovery scheme was lost....

Thanks for all the advice it got me to the solution. ::love::

Yep, your right, should have done this without being asked.

Actually the various links pointed to some quite common problem with maxstore drives. So I said, maybe Maxstore has something to say. I painfully searched the 39 pages of FAQ and found (on page 38!) the following:

http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/maxtor.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2376&p_created=1115072258&p_sid=yqlMWVEh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD03NjYmcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX25sJnBfcGFnZT0zNw**&p_li=&p_topview=1

My biref check indicates it does little more than the manual solution posted by
the ghost->sarahlis->monkey magic

Back