firewire drive only shows up in the terminal and disk utility

nb3004

Postmaster General
A friend of mine has a firewire drive that he uses on his PC at home however at school on our 1.42 G4's the drive doesnt show up on the desktop. It will open in the terminal through volumes and is present in disk utility, anyone else experience this or have any ideas on this problem. thanks

It probably doesn't come up because it's not formatted HFS+. It's probably formated NTFS or FAT32. It shows up in terminal and disk utility because you can reformat the drive from those places.

Panther will see both Fat32 or NTFS disks, Jaguar will see Fat32 disks.

When you say it shows up in Disk Utility, does that mean you can only see the drive, or can you see the drive and one or more partitions?

Well maybe the drive is just unreadable in general for the computer and that's why it wants to initialize it.

Hello. I have two MacOS X computer (one in my workplace, a G4/800, and a G5 on my home). I have also a 20Gb LaCie external HD. On my G5 it wotks fine, but in the G4 it don't shows.
Both computer are 10.2.8.

Have you run disk utility on it and repaired the drive? If so you may need to run Disk Warrior or some other advanced disk repair application.

Back