Firewire Drives Gone Away

Zodama

Registered
Greetings! I have an iMac g4 800mhz machine and recently my two external drives do not show up on my desktop. I have tried the suggestions that showed up on MACOSX in May and June (between Cheryl and Ashley) but none of those suggestions worked for me. Can my firewire bus just up and die?

I am running 10.3.9 and they have been working just fine until this last weekend. Alors!

My drives are: LaCie 160 and LaCie 80.

Thanks for being there!

DeWaine

You may need to reset the firewire ports - turn off
the computer and unplug it from the wall outlet, wait
about 20 minutes, and then plug it back in and boot
up the computer.

How long have you had the drives? Have you installed or modified your system in any way? With your hard drives plugged into your computer, try running the Apple Hardware Test CD to see if there is anything wrong with the hardware. It's possible that the drive mechanisms have died, but that can't be determined until you run the tests. If you have them, running Diskwarrior and Techtool Pro 4 helps too.

i had the same problem with the same drive. After an app crashed, my drive disappeared off the desktop. It could still connect by USB, but not by Firewire. Turning off my Mini, and unplugging it, for 10 minutes, did the trick.

The discussion forum over at Apple has a number of posts on this topic, usually with the same resolution.

Zodama said:
Greetings! I have an iMac g4 800mhz machine and recently my two external drives do not show up on my desktop. I have tried the suggestions that showed up on MACOSX in May and June (between Cheryl and Ashley) but none of those suggestions worked for me. Can my firewire bus just up and die?

I am running 10.3.9 and they have been working just fine until this last weekend. Alors!

My drives are: LaCie 160 and LaCie 80.

Thanks for being there!

DeWaine

I have the LaCie 160 and this has now happened to me twice. Both times the only way I was able to fix the problem was to hook the drive up to a PC. All I did was attach it to a PC, let the the PC show the drive, unplug it and hook it back up to my Powerbook. That's it. Give it a try.

Back