Firewire enclosure problems

Daeyin

Registered
I have a firewire enclosure and a 60 GB 7200 IDE drive in it. I can't seem to "eject" it in the finder. when I do eject it, i have to remove the case and phsyicall reconnect the drive before my mac will recognize it (if I don't do that I can have it plugged in, but it won't show up as a mounted disk).

Do I have to set the switches differently for the drive? It is set in "master" drive position (set as "slave" configuration, the drive was not recognized). is there some third type of setting?

I'm not to hip with the whole 'mounting' thing Macs do ... but I have a 20 gig FireWire drive and unmounting or ejecting it seems to work fine, I just drag the icon onto the trash can.

Now to re-mount it, I have to unplug the FireWire cable, then plug it back in. I'm pretty sure that's just the standard way of doing things.

Is that what your question is or did I miss the point entirely (which has been known to happen)?

my problem is that when I do the ejecting, nothing will make the HD come back again except for removing the enclosure and phsyically reconnecting the internal cable. That pisses me off because
1) I like to eject the disk and turn it off when not in use
2) It often gets disconnected if I lose power, or accidentially hit the power button on the drive.

So I end up pulling out the screwdriver almost once a week to reconnect it.

Ok, I figured it out. The drive needed to be set in the "master" position. I had it set incorrectly and didn't know it.

I bought a cheap-o enclosure that usest the Oxford 911, and has external power. It was dirt cheap but comes with no manual and worthless drivers. But it worked automatically in OS X and 9, and was dirt cheap ($45).

Back