Firewire HD causes grey crash/restart screen

chopperT

Registered
Hi there,

Recently bought an external Firewire drive, to share files between Mac and Windoze.

Worked fine last night when I backed-up some data, using SilverKeeper, onto one of the FAT32 partitions.

This morning, whenever I connect the drive I get one of the delightful grey-sceen system crashes; telling me in eight different languages, to restart my computer.

I'm running OS X 10.2.3 at the mo, on an Indigo G3.

Has anyone any idea why this is so?

Thanks,
CT

is there any particular reason you are still on 10.2.3 and not 10.2.8? I am not sure, but maybe this fixes some probs...
And welcome to the forum! :)

That is a kernel panic. Restart the computer without the external connected. Once started, connect the external. It should show.
And do the update to 10.2.8 !

Welcome :)

Thanks for the replies both! :eek:)

I booted with the HD not connected a second time, and then connected it and all's been fine ever since. (fingers crossed, touching wood and waving rabbits' feet in the air! :eek:)

I've now installed 10.2.8 so now I suppose this thread can be closed.

But before you go..... Ideally what I wanted to do was partition my new HD into a "Mac and Windoze data backup" partition (FAT32) and then a "bootable (NFS+) system" partition. From looking at some other posts I'm assuming that I can't have a drive with partitions of different formats? In which case I'll buy a small HD, format it to NFS+ and create my bootable backup/image/clone on there????

Thanks again,

Chops

Doh!

And my little emoticon things have gone wonky in the thread above!

They were meant to be smiley faces, not yawns!

Sorry

chopperT said:
... I'm assuming that I can't have a drive with partitions of different formats?
Why not? I would first partition the drive under your windoze and format one partition as fat32 (I believe WinXP SP1 just allows NTFS format. You might need fdisk on DrDOS or anything similar). Fat32 can be read under macosx as well and you can now erase the unformated partition and make a mac format out of it.
Should be possible. Post your results!

Zammy-Sam said:
Why not? I would first partition the drive under your windoze and format one partition as fat32 (I believe WinXP SP1 just allows NTFS format. You might need fdisk on DrDOS or anything similar). Fat32 can be read under macosx as well and you can now erase the unformated partition and make a mac format out of it.
Should be possible. Post your results!

Tried doing that already, but couldn't get it to work on both systems ok. Mind you, I seldom manage to tie my laces properly at the first attempt! :)

Back