FireWire Lacie d2 Drive does not mount

nreyes

Registered
Unfortunately it seems that my d2 was actually connected to my Powerbook during a simple upgrade to Tiger 10.4 which apparently causes problems in Tiger - i.e. it simply does not mount.

The Lacie drive appears correctly in Disk Utility, but not on the desktop or in the finder.

Does anybody have a fix for this?
Ironically, all my back-ups were to this external drive for "safety" and now I can't get at them!

You can try updating your firmware. And, you can use the instructions below to try to reset your firewire ports, etc.

1. Shut down and disconnect your firewire drive leaving nothing is connected to the firewire ports.
2. Restart, and use Disk Utility to repair permissions on your internal.
3. Shut down, and disconnect the AC power from the computer and your drive; also remove battery.
4. Let computer sit unpowered and disconnected for15 minutes.
5. Reconnect AC power to only the computer and reinsert battery.
6. Restart computer.
7. Verify that firewire ports are visible using System Profiler.
8. Reconnect your firewire drive, and refresh window in System Profiler to rescan the firewire bus, and confirm that drive is visible.
9. Repair disk and permissions on the firewire drive.

Hello.

Thanks for the reply / help.

However, even though the Drive shows up in the System Profiler correctly, (and is recognised in Disk Utility) I get no icon on the desktop nor in the Finder, and therefore no visibility of the files on the drive. The drive also shows up (incorrectly) as having 0 bytes used, even though I know that it has data on it, and hasn't been wiped.

I imagine that there is something going on in Tiger which is preventing this drive from Mounting. I know that I (incorrectly) left the drive connected during upgrade, so do you think that Tiger has written a file somewhere that could be removed to solve the problem?

Alternatively, as a last chance, even if it is inconvenient:

-Do you think that it would fix the problem if I do the following:
Disconnect all firewire devices
Do a complete erase and install (this time without any external drives attached)
Reconnect the Firewire drive after booting into the new Tiger installation

my concern is that it still won't recognise the Firewire drive because it has actually affected it in some way (by writing a file or something)

That's quite frightening. I have a Lacie D2 drive that I use for backup purposes as well. Unfortunately I don't have the new MacOS so I can't help you with your situation. I would like to hear how it turns out, though. Good luck!

(bumping for a friend in need)

Don't know if it helps but had somehow the following problem last night :

I couldn't see the icons of my (partionned LaCIe D2 external HD) on the desktop but could see them in Disk utility: Choose it and mounted it and all came back to normal.

after all that's been suggested before did you go back to disk utility and check ?

Sorry if it's no use for you

Thanks for your advice, but unfortunately I have tried mounting / unmounting within Disk Utility - it doesn't seem to cause any problems (i.e. no error messages) but I still don't get an icon in the Finder or on the desktop.

The Lacie guy who wrote back to me suggested one final thing which was to check the View Options / Preferences (in case it was something to do with the option to "show mounted Volumes" being de-selected etc.) but I can tell you that this has not solved it. For example: I have another external drive which was not connected at the time of the upgrade and that one shows up okay when I connect it. So do other 'volumes' like CDs and DVDs when they 'mount'.
(Note: by the way, the other external drive is not a Lacie - however, the crucial fact here is that it wasn't connected during the upgrade to Tiger which ironically actually allows it to be 'seen'. I really now think that it has more to do with something that Tiger did to the connected Lacie drive during upgrade rather than a 'brand' incompatibiliy).

Did you try repairing permissions? Whenever I have an OS/Finder problem that is always the first thing I'm told to do.

nreyes said:
Thanks for your advice, but unfortunately I have tried mounting / unmounting within Disk Utility - it doesn't seem to cause any problems (i.e. no error messages) but I still don't get an icon in the Finder or on the desktop.

Did you try mounting via Disk Utility on you Tiger DVD? I'd give it a shot.

Back