firewire network, pc/mac

DonReactor

Registered
Hi,

I've been trying to get a firewire network working with a pc and a mac.
But it won't work! It should be possible right......
Hope someone can help me out here.

DonReactor

bulletized:

Enable firewire networking on both machines.
*Manually* assign them 2 different IP addresses
Turn on Windows file sharing on the Mac
If all else fails, disable firewalls on both machines.

Potentially irrelevant but...

IP-Over-Firewire's been built into OS X since 10.3. But even on a Mac only network it took me a while to figure out that to get it working concurrently with my ethernet/wi-fi network I needed to use a totally different IP range-d'oh! I.e. my ethernet/Wi-Fi network is in the range 192.168.1.x and my IP-Over-FireWire network is in the 10.0.0.x range. Any joy yet?

Gabs

it's realy hard to get it working.
i'm still working on it.
hope these things you told me help me.
I'll let you know when it works!

Is the PC running Windows XP? That's the only version I have tried it with.

Is the Firewire built into the PC, or is it a card?

Has the PC's firewire interface worked properly before, with any other FW peripherals?

Are you trying to connect FROM windows TO the Mac, or vice-versa?

I'm having the same problems... I want to share files over FireWire that are stored on my mac, to my pc. Both connect wirelessly to the internet, and ethernet isnt an option. I have enabled IP over Firewire on both machines, but I do no know what to set up the network settings as. I've tried 10.0.0.1 on mac and 10.0.0.2 on pc, and it doesnt seem to work. Mac says firewire cable is not connected, and pc doesnt see anything really other than there is a firewire cable there...

:|

Random suggestion: I would recommend NOT using a FW hub.

Indeed, when I enabled IP over FW, it temporarily disabled all my fw peripherals.

Jason

Why isn't Ethernet an option. Are the machines both using the same wireless connection (router)?

Well here is the long story, my internet connection is purely wireless, so I dont have direct access to that router.

I share my net connection from my mac to my xbox for xbox live...

--

What I have tried thus far:

•Firewire
-Direct connection between the two, with ips set "correctly" (i dont know if they have been yet?) neither computer sees the other
-Turning internet sharing on on the mac, the pc will pick up an ip, but not do anything beyond that

•Ethernet
-Direct works... but only when wireless is turned off on both :|
-Also takes away ability to share net connection to xbox

•Ethernet -> Router -> PC and Xbox
-PC doesnt see mac anymore, but xbox works...
-Router doesnt pick up ip from mac

this is getting frustrating... only option I see so far is just connecting both to a router, and giving up xbox live heh

Back