firewire or usb2 3.5" HD enclosure?

Robn Kester

I heart nothing
Any of you have a solid 3.5" HD enclosure you love? I'm looking for one that is cheap but good to put a older HD into. I'd prefer FireWire (400) since my USB ports are overloaded as it is and I'd need a new USB2 hub to use it.

Any thoughts you have would be appreciated.

I usually shop with MWave.com for most of my non-Mac needs. They are almost always cheaper than newegg and they have quite a few that are priced well within my range that seem to do the trick. However I was hoping for some insight before I made the leap. I have read others complaints about problems with different ones and hoped to narrow it down before I sunk my greenbacks.

r

I ended up just getting a LaCie Porsche 120GB for $115 at CompUSA and it works like a champ. Ended up being a great purchase, shortly after I got it, my internal HDD went crazy on me and I used it to backup everything that wasnt on a bad spot on the old HDD. (I tried and failed repeatedly to back up to DVD-R, but there were so many files on bad spots I made like a dozen coasters!)

So once I got my new HDD installed, I had most of my mail and such backed up and ready to be put back into place.

Thank you LaCie.

For AU$50 (or US$38) I bought a case off eBay that supports USB, USB2.0, FireWire 400 and FireWire 800. Personally I use the FireWire port. Inside I have a spare internal PC hard disk, running a charm at 7200RPM. It works way faster than my internal HDD in my Mac.

Back