FireWire2 a Go

kendall

Registered
http://www.itworld.com/Net/2629/030106firewire/

According to the article above, FireWire2 information has been released in regards to MWSF prematurely.

My question is, what exactly is FireWire2 going into? PowerMacs, iPods, PowerBooks or what?

Obviously hardware is being released because to release FireWire2 without any wouldn't make much sense.

The next 12 hours before Macword is usually when all secrets are release and no surprises are left.

Time Canada, don't let me down! :p

Well, looks like someone just broke a NDA.... I'd hate to be them. That will come with a hefty penality and exclusion from future NDA's.

Don't buy a drive, they will be out of business soon... My opinion of course.

Scott

I don't see the point of this since 800 mbits/second only equals about 100 mbytes a second... which is still slower than ATA133 which is 133 mbytes a second.

Serial-ATA is going to initially come out at 150 mbytes a second. Much faster than Firewire 800. I think this is too little too late.

On another note. Does anyone know if ATA is synchronous or asynchronous? What about both Firewire specs? What about SerialATA? If Firewire were to be synchronous while SerialATA would be asynchronous then that would make a difference right? It would mean the firewire 800 could keep up with the SerialATA... right?

well unless there are external serial ata uses firewire2 will definately have a point for laptop/imac users who need external drives

The comparison to ATA discussion is really only relevant to drives.

The new FireWire would have far more significance to the audio and video world where it is used for moving audio and video around. ATA doesn't really work there.

Back