Firms preying on fear?

Randman

HA! HA! HA!
Is FUD being used to sell things on Apple users?

Is it just me, or does anyone else notice how all these "security" firms that hardly anyone ever heard of prior are popping up to issue alerts (and to sell the cure) on the Apple segment.
Intego and it's "Trojan", even if it was a proof-of-concept trojan and not something people should fear.
No, but Intego's advisory came out in the same month it had full-page advertisements in many Mac magazines.
Coincidence?

Now, Secunia is issuing advisories about the Safari exploitation. And while Apple has released a security fix and other companies have (for free) offered apps and advice to plug the hole, but we still have another company making a name for itself.

So what do people think? Is it a marketing approach by some rat bastard companies? Or just a coincidence that all of this is happening at once?

secunia has been issuing advisory's to just about anything from x86 toilet seats to airplane board computers. It is a solid company. Just accept that now Apple has entered de unix arena, it WILL have it's fair share of exploits. In OS7/8/9, the hacks were mostly located in 3rd party apps (anyone remember the webstar exploits?). Now ' everything ' is integrated in the OS apple will have to take care of it itsself. no big deal.

anyone hooking up there machines directly onto the internet better take the advisory's serious. I for one make a large part of my (not bad) living of people who think they are secure because the run linux, [ or whatever for that matter ], and subsequently get hacked.

Taking care is one thing, but a company attempting to profit on the fears of the masses is quite another.

I think that Intego might be, myself. That's two 'alerts' they've released when no one knew anything else about it...

They have to make money somehow. Didn't Intego have a "security" product out shortly after their announcement?

Anyway, unsanity.com's Paranoid Android is out now to avoid the possible URI exploits.

They've had security products out for years and years. But yes, I too find it strange how they're trying to spread FUD. But then again: They live off it. Btw.: Have you got an AntiVirus software for your mobile phone yet? No? Well: Nokia bundles Norton AV with the Communicator 9500 when it arrives at the end of the year... I wonder how people really react to this. I, personally, think it's a bad sign that Nokia bundles it. It means there WILL be virus/worm/other security threats for this device, doesn't it?

.. I'd rather configure the firewall of the mobile phone so that it works. And throw away anything M$-compatible (like outlook-compatible addressbook) of it, if I'll have a new phone.

And on the computer .. maybe it is one of the 150 reasons to get Tiger this winter, the ability of being able to decide whether _any_ application (finder, terminal, disk utility, itunes etc) can be launched from distance.

Computers, phones .. the business of fear is not limited to them. Doctors live of it too. :(

Back