Firmware updates and clean installs

QuadPusher

Registered
I've always been a bit unclear as to what firmware really is... It's somewhere between hardware and software, and it can be updated via software... becasue of that I have a bit of a time wrapping my head around it.

My question is this: can I do a clean install of OS 10.4.4 without having to worry about going back and doing a firmware update agian? I'm specifically wondering about my Apple SuperDrive update and the firmware update necessary for my system to recognize my Sonnet Encore ST/G4 1.8ghz processor.

My system:
2002 G4 Quicksilver (previousy 933mhz - now 1.8ghz)
OS 10.3.9
RAM 1.5GB
Video Card: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

Thanks.

Firmware is technically software that doens't live on your hard drive, designed to tell your software how to use your hardware. Most of the time, it's stored in your P-RAM, or NVRAM.

A clean install of your OS shouldn't effect your firmware. The reason I say "shouldn't" as opposed to "won't" is because I've never installed Tiger on a Mac with a Sonnet upgrade. But if you're already running Tiger, then I wouldn't worry.

Oops... Sorry about that - I just realized that I said I had Tiger currently installed... which I don't. I have Panther (10.3.9) and I'm thinking about doing a clean install to 10.4.4.

Sorry about the typo.

And thanks for clearing up what Firmware is. I appreciate that. One question: if it's stored in P-RAM or NVRAM then why doesn't zappng the P-RAM effect it?

Because firmware basic writes to a piece of psychical hardware like an embedded chip on the motherboard and such.

QuadPusher said:
One question: if it's stored in P-RAM or NVRAM then why doesn't zappng the P-RAM effect it?

Not ALL firmware is stored in the PRAM. The firmware for your processor card, for example, would be stored in a ROM chip on the motherboard.

But most of the video related firmware is stored in the PRAM. Here's an example:

eMacs, iMacs, and laptops for years suffered the inability to add a second monitor for any purpose other than Mirroring (same image, both screens).

There's a "fix" called Screen Spanning Doctor, which updates the video firmware to allow a second monitor to be used as an extension of the desktop. Resetting the PRAM disables this firmware patch.

Thankfully, the new Intel iMacs support dual monitors again. :)

Back