firmware upgrade and hanging computer

Cow Loon

Registered
I have a G4 which I'm trying to upgrade to 10.1.

For the firmware upgrade I followed the instructions. I booted to 9.1, ran the update utiltiy and shutdown. After this my monitor naturally goes blank and starts searching for a signal. Then I held the programmer's button and pressed the power button, waited for the tone and then let go of the button.

Now, the monitor is still blank, searching. Then I get a grey screen with an icon alternating between ? and some nondescript icon. Finally I get the programmer's boot console and it says I can continue booting by typing mac-boot, or shutdown by typing shut-down. If I type mac-boot it says something to the effect of alloc-mem failed out of memory. If I type help it says "help help on not available". So I shutdown. If I reboot, I'm back to the grey screen. What can I do?

Originally posted by JaViS
What version of the firmware are you using ??

And what machine do you have ?

If I remember correctly, it was 4.1.8. It's the firmware on the macos 9.2.1 disk that comes with the 10.1 update.

I have a 400Mhz G4... it's from before they had Nvidia graphics cards/chips or whatever.

Originally posted by Cow Loon

If I remember correctly, it was 4.1.8. It's the firmware on the macos 9.2.1 disk that comes with the 10.1 update.

Reading someone else's post, I gather it was firmware version 4.2.8.

4.2.8 was just released today...it was probably 4.1.8 (that's what comes on the install CDs) ....maybe 4.1.9 (which was pulled for the G4s).

I managed to boot from the os x cd. Then I installed the 4.2.8 firmware upgrade and everything is fine now.

Back