First AppleScript to use XML-RPC and Script Menu - Cool!

FireWire

Registered
I have been working hard developing a script called BlogScript that takes advantage of the new XML-RPC feature in OS X.1. It also was designed to function in the new Script Menu of 10.1. It is a powerfully convenient little script that allows users of Blogger.com to post instantly from any application without the need to login or even launch a browser. Just copy some text, and choose BlogScript from the Script menu. It's freeware. And users are amazed at how useful, cool, and convenient BlogScript is. It is a must have for anyone with a blogger powered weblog.

Take it for a spin or find out more at http://www.webentourage.com

It was noted by MacScripter.net that it is the first implementation of it's kind in the Macintosh scripting community.

Thanks,

Tim

Well, I don't use Blogger, but I have to say I was fascinated with the XML-RPC examples Apple supplied on their new Applescript/OS X webpages. I never really "got" the whole SOAP thing before I saw these. It looks like as the scripting community gets up to speed with this stuff we'll see some really cool stuff.

Looking through the source of the Apple-supplied examples, the level of AppleScript/XML kung fu required is pretty well out of my league. Hopefully someone will put together a good toolset/tutorial for playing around with this stuff.

Where is this place where you said you found code on xml-rpc using apple script?

On a side note, anyone know if other scripting languages can be used on apple to do everything apple script can do? Like perl or shell scripts? Sorry, just too lazy to learn yet another language....

G

Well, yes, I knew at least perl exist on OS X the day I got the tibook. But my question was really if I can do everything applescript can with perl. For example, earlier I posted questions about how to open Internet Explorer for a certain url. And someone gave me a oneline apple script that does that. My question is, does such script (need not be oneline) exist for perl _without_ invoking an apple script command? In other words, without knowing any applescript syntax can you invoke Internet Explorer, as an example?

Thanks,
G

Originally posted by travelgz
Well, yes, I knew at least perl exist on OS X the day I got the tibook. But my question was really if I can do everything applescript can with perl. For example, earlier I posted questions about how to open Internet Explorer for a certain url. And someone gave me a oneline apple script that does that. My question is, does such script (need not be oneline) exist for perl _without_ invoking an apple script command? In other words, without knowing any applescript syntax can you invoke Internet Explorer, as an example?

The answer is yes...and no. Programs such as Internet Explorer are told to go to a URL or do anything else, through AppleEvents (which is what AppleScript uses). IE for OS X has very few (if any) new features compared to the OS 9 version, and so most likely cannot accessed any other way. This may change, eventually, but supporting both AppleEvents and command-line parameters seems unlikely, since the former is pushed by Apple and supporting two would be more difficult.

However, it may be possible to send AppleEvents with Perl. While I was looking at the Perl modules at www.cpan.org , I noticed a module that allowed one to pass AppleEvents. It didn't look like it had been updated in a while, and almost certainly would not work in OS X without being updated somewhat. If it were, however, the possibilities are endless.

Sorry I can't give you anything more positive than that.

P.S. What, my AppleScript wasn't good enough for you? ;)

Oh no, it's not that, of course your apple script is way cool and I am using it with forte.

Just that now I have to face learning Object-C and AppleScript and I much prefer to use what I already know to do cool stuff in MAC OS X, such as Perl and Java. I looked at Object-C and applescript and they look kind of hokey.

Well, I guess I have nothing better to do this weekend, mind as well learn something.

But I was hoping for something like the module you mentioned; something to get perl to interface with the hokeyness of apple events.

Using java is a whole other topic I already complained about on a different thread.

Thanks, Red Dude!
G

Sorry I can't give anything better than that. I have heard that AppleScript is not the easiest thing for people with a bit of programming experience. Coming off AppleSoft BASIC, it was a bit easier for me...

Back