First generation iPod update iTunes?

MadAl

Registered
Thinking about updating my 5gig first generation, anything I should know about? Will it dramatically change the battery life?

Erh... *WHAT* are you talking about? :) ... Do you intend to upgrade iTunes software or the battery or buy a new iPod?

If you update the iTunes software, then _nothing at all_ changes about the iPod's battery life.

If you exchange the battery, then yes, you'll get better battery life. If you're exchanging it with the same type of battery, you'll get better battery life, because your old one is, well, old. If you get a higher capacity battery, you'll get even more.

If you mean "upgrade" as in buying a new iPod, then, too, you'll get more battery life, because newer iPods tend to have better battery life (unless you're using them to constantly watch video, which uses a lot more battery power).

Generally, your thread is simply very unclear about several things at the moment. :)

fryke said:
Erh... *WHAT* are you talking about? :) ... Do you intend to upgrade iTunes software or the battery or buy a new iPod?

If you update the iTunes software, then _nothing at all_ changes about the iPod's battery life.

If you exchange the battery, then yes, you'll get better battery life. If you're exchanging it with the same type of battery, you'll get better battery life, because your old one is, well, old. If you get a higher capacity battery, you'll get even more.

If you mean "upgrade" as in buying a new iPod, then, too, you'll get more battery life, because newer iPods tend to have better battery life (unless you're using them to constantly watch video, which uses a lot more battery power).

Generally, your thread is simply very unclear about several things at the moment. :)

Guess I needed to be more specific. My concern is that, like with cpu harddrives is there a limit to the ability to handle OS upgrades. I'm asking if there is anything to be concerned about upgrading the iTunes software that interfaces with my iPod. With additional bells and whistles on upgrades some hd's don't have the "guts" to handle the new software.

"CPU harddrives?" Do you mean hard drives in general, or CPUs in general? A hard drive is a hard drive is a hard drive. Updates to an operating system have nothing to do with the hard drive itself, nor its ability to handle upgrades to the operating system. You can load OS X on an old, 5400-rpm Quantum Fireball 6GB drive and it'll handle the upgrades to OS X just as well as any brand-new 500GB hard drive. Data is data, and there's nothing "newer" or "different" about the data that is Mac OS X 10.4.6 as compared to the data that is Mac OS 6. Data is just 1s and 0s, nothing more, nothing less, and extra features in an operating system are simply different 1s and 0s -- there's nothing about newer operating systems that would, in any way, be incompatible with certain hard drives.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
"CPU harddrives?" Do you mean hard drives in general, or CPUs in general? A hard drive is a hard drive is a hard drive. Updates to an operating system have nothing to do with the hard drive itself, nor its ability to handle upgrades to the operating system. You can load OS X on an old, 5400-rpm Quantum Fireball 6GB drive and it'll handle the upgrades to OS X just as well as any brand-new 500GB hard drive. Data is data, and there's nothing "newer" or "different" about the data that is Mac OS X 10.4.6 as compared to the data that is Mac OS 6. Data is just 1s and 0s, nothing more, nothing less, and extra features in an operating system are simply different 1s and 0s -- there's nothing about newer operating systems that would, in any way, be incompatible with certain hard drives.
That's not exactly true. For example I own a first gen g4, I cannot load any OS past panther without having to change out video cards. Also if you load Tiger onto an old machine you won't be able to find the ram if it can take enough to run the os.

I have Tiger running smooth as silk on both a G3-upgraded 7600 with 704MB of RAM and a G4 Yikes! (PCI graphics) model with 1024MB of RAM. I can find RAM for both of those machines easily at www.owcomputing.com. All G4 machines can take a minimum of 1GB of RAM via 4x256MB PC-100 chips (certain G4 models only had 3 RAM slots, so you've have to use 512MB chips to get up to 1GB), which are still easily found all over the place.

If you can't load any OS X past Panther on your older G4, then something is wrong either with the machine, or the install process you're going though. Your G4 should have, at minimum, a Rage 128 PCI or AGP card, which is quite supported under Tiger. Your G4 fully supports Tiger (since you have built-in FireWire ports) and the lowest video card available for that machine is also supported. Do you, perhaps, have a "flashed" PC video card in there, requiring you to put in a Mac-specific video card to load Tiger?

Either way, what you're saying is a completely isolated situation (your own situation) and does not pertain to everyone -- you can't make a broad statement like, "It doesn't work on my machine, therefore it doesn't work on everyone's machine", as indicated by the fact that I am running Tiger on both my old (G4) machine and VERY old (7600) machine without problem, and have no problems with RAM, video, or hard drives on either. In addition, the hard drives in the 7600 are EXTREMELY old (about 14 years old) SCSI-I drives from the Mac OS 7 era (10MB/sec -- tell me that's not slow and old!) and Tiger has no problems with them at all.

Erh... Back on topic please. *What* is it you're trying to do? iTunes is not loaded onto the iPod, it's installed on your PC or Mac. Updating iTunes on your computer does _not_ have an impact on your iPod's playback abilities. Upgrading the iPod's _firmware_ would, maybe but it's not something to be afraid of, since a newer iPod firmware simply fixes some bugs. So again: What is it you're trying to do and why are you afraid...?

ElDiabloConCaca said:
I have Tiger running smooth as silk on both a G3-upgraded 7600 with 704MB of RAM and a G4 Yikes! (PCI graphics) model with 1024MB of RAM. I can find RAM for both of those machines easily at www.owcomputing.com. All G4 machines can take a minimum of 1GB of RAM via 4x256MB PC-100 chips (certain G4 models only had 3 RAM slots, so you've have to use 512MB chips to get up to 1GB), which are still easily found all over the place.

If you can't load any OS X past Panther on your older G4, then something is wrong either with the machine, or the install process you're going though. Your G4 should have, at minimum, a Rage 128 PCI or AGP card, which is quite supported under Tiger. Your G4 fully supports Tiger (since you have built-in FireWire ports) and the lowest video card available for that machine is also supported. Do you, perhaps, have a "flashed" PC video card in there, requiring you to put in a Mac-specific video card to load Tiger?

Either way, what you're saying is a completely isolated situation (your own situation) and does not pertain to everyone -- you can't make a broad statement like, "It doesn't work on my machine, therefore it doesn't work on everyone's machine", as indicated by the fact that I am running Tiger on both my old (G4) machine and VERY old (7600) machine without problem, and have no problems with RAM, video, or hard drives on either. In addition, the hard drives in the 7600 are EXTREMELY old (about 14 years old) SCSI-I drives from the Mac OS 7 era (10MB/sec -- tell me that's not slow and old!) and Tiger has no problems with them at all.

My G4 came with a ATI Rage128y card, when I put the 10.3 CD in, it couldn't support the monitor, that is, the monitor was black as if it weren't on. Did research and received info that that card wasn't supported past 10.2.

MadAl said:
My G4 came with a ATI Rage128y card, when I put the 10.3 CD in, it couldn't support the monitor, that is, the monitor was black as if it weren't on. Did research and received info that that card wasn't supported past 10.2.
That's misinformation then -- where did you hear that? I have three machines with the Rage 128, both PCI and AGP versions, and all three work flawlessly with 10.3 as well as 10.4.

Perhaps the black screen isn't related to the video card.

Back