First Impressions of 10.1

trex

Registered
Hello All,

I picked up the 10.1 update at Seybold today.

I'm running it on a G4 400 AGP with 832 MB's of RAM.

Overall everything is faster - finder - applications launches, etc...

I got file transfers to work with my 7500 with Appletalk (didn't have to use TCP/IP) and things went smoothly for the most part. -- however I did crash the system (everything froze and I had to reboot) on one of the transfers and at times the spinning ball comes up and I am unable to do anything in the finder.

I tried using BBedit 6.1 but found out that copy and paste does not work. Hopefully they'll have an update soon... I'm using an old Classic version of BBedit now and it seems to work fine.

It's hard for me to really judge Mac OS X right now without having GoLive and Photoshop as Carbon apps. I tend to use them quite often.

I tried playing some DVD's but the player would not play them -- instead it complained about region codes or stated the DVD was not recognizable. The CD's worked fine under Mac OS 9.

Overall the system is an improvement over 10.04 but there's some work to be done.

I'll post some more stuff tomorrow...

Originally posted by trex
It's hard for me to really judge Mac OS X right now without having GoLive and Photoshop as Carbon apps. I tend to use them quite often.

I am lucky enough to have an iBook to run OS X on for surfing, email and messing around and an original G4 running 9.1 for work. That G4 won't be running OS X until Photoshop, Illustrator and GoLive are native.

Illustrator for X has been announced and I have heard something suggesting GoLive may be next (after InDesign). Photoshop is the big one. Its also the oldest of Adobe's applications, which means it probably has way more old, old code and therefore the hardest to carbonize.

I think Adobe is bringing Illustrator for X out first because Macromedia alreadt ported Freehand. Quark is working on Xpress for X so Adobe has announced the InDesign 2.0 will be native. But who competes with Photoshop? Corel? Deneba?

Yes I think your right Adobe is dragging their feet on a release date for Photoshop X. I spoke with an Adobe rep and he said he had no information on release dates for GoLive or Photoshop. Does anyone know the status on Dreamweaver for X? I'm sure Macromedia will have Dreamweaver X out before GoLive. I might just switch. If Adobe doesn't have Photoshop X out by MacWorld San Francisco then we might not see it until New York MacWorld or worse Seybold San Francisco in Sept of 2002

Oh well...

Back