First Tiger Installation Goes Perfectly

The Ghost

In the Machine
Before receiving Tiger today, I set up 5 partitions on my external--3 for installing Tiger 3 ways (from 10.3.9): (a) update, (b) archive and install, and (c) erase and install. I used (a) today. After updating, I tested the critical things--network/AirPort, Office, browsers, iPhoto, iTunes, and etc. The update worked so well that I cloned the Tiger-update partition on the external to my internal almost immediately. The only minor problem that has turned up is that Menu Meters wouldn't work (ho hum)--so I trashed it.

Also, I was having trouble sharing partition 5 on the external with our PCs under 10.3.9 using SharePoints (although I never had problems before moving to 10.3.9). Tiger fixed things; the share showed up immediately. And, Tiger fixed an odd printing from-the-internet problem I have been having.

I have no real advice to offer since my update went essentially perfectly. But, I might suggest updating to 10.3.9 before moving to Tiger if you see that others are having problems starting with earlier OS versions. Also, for what it is worth, I installed iLife 05 on 10.3.9 before updating to Tiger.

I will do archive and install/preserve user and network settings tomorrow and eventually will get around to doing a pristine custom intall of Tiger soon. I'll post again on this thread once I do the archive and install.

I completed my other two Tiger installs today--(1) archive and install/preserve user and network settings and (2) custom erase and install. All 3 installs are working perfectly.

I took an interesting approach on (2). I did the custom erase and install. After doing so, Setup Assistant showed up and allowed me to transfer applications, documents, and setting, etc., from (1) or from my update partition (see prior post). I transferred them from the update since it was on my internal, and I had tweeked it a bit. All went exactly right.

I am not sure if (2) plus transferring from (1) or an update partition really is any better than the update partition or (1). As indicated, they all work perfectly. But, maybe (2) plus transferring is a little better. (2) is as close as one can come to doing a custom erase and install and reinstalling/setting everything up up from scratch without actually doing the latter.

Back