First Time Mac buyer looking for help...

Originally posted by pyroboy

Back when NeXTStep was still being sold and you could buy a brand new NeXTtStation or Cube, there was this really cool feature where your NeXT computer could seek out on the network for other free NeXT machines and use them to help work on a complex job such as rendering. It's the same principal behind the SETI screensaver, only you could have multiple computers working on one job. This is a power I would really love to see Apple exploit.

Imagine rendering a complex job and being able to look across the network, notice that your iMac was free and use it to help render the job.

I wonder what happend to that technology?

http://daugerresearch.com/

:)

Oh man, I saw those new G4 prices today and even though we have never met, you (jb22) were the first person I thought of. Looks like you can get a DP 1 GHz for $1499 + $200 for a super drive.

After I thought about you I thought about myself and the $2500 I spent on my DP 1 GHz last fall! :) Oh well, I knew it would happen some day, it always does.

I'm glad I waited. I'm now going to get the following:

G4 DP 1.25ghz
512 mb PC2700 ram
80gb HD
new 4x Superdrive
ATI Radeon 9000 64mb

Plus Apple has addresed the noise problem in the new batch of G4s.

But this system will cost me $3673 Canadian before tax:eek:

That's $300 more then the Dual 867 I originall had my eyes on but I'm now getting what was considered top of the line just a couple of days ago.

Oh well, it'll be a nice way to start my first experience of owning a Mac!

Oh man, you are going to have an awesome system. So they addressed the fan issue? Man, I wonder if there is some way to "upgrade" to that with the "old" G4s?

Originally posted by karavite
Oh man, you are going to have an awesome system. So they addressed the fan issue? Man, I wonder if there is some way to "upgrade" to that with the "old" G4s?

I believe there are, or soon will be after market "fan kits" for the old MDD G4s. A local retailler up here in Toronto is going to be selling them. But I think it will void the warranty.

Some people are waiting to see what exactly Apple did to resolve the issue.

By the way, that retailer can be found at www.macdoc.com. It's a Canadian site so don't be shocked by the prices.

Thanks - I still don't know if I will buy Apple Care - I have had 9 Macs and never a hardware problem, but...

Back