Fitting DVD drive - help!

MissyC

Registered
I just bought an LG Electronics DVD-Ram and RW drive. I fitted it into the second drive slot of my G4 dual 1.42 yesterday...but....the drive draw itself is too wide to come out through the slot in the case!!!!

I'm very inexperienced with modifying PC's let alone Macs so I need this spelling out if you can help. Can I take part of the front off the drive? If not how do I go about turning it into an external drive?

Thanks!
Claire
::angel::

Not sure about the modification part. To convert to an external, you'd need to buy a case for it. Many computer shops will have a firewire-compatible case available. If you go that route, take the specs for your drive with you.
Not familiar with LG stuff but is there a help line? You could call and see if there's compatibility with your Mac and see if the problem can be solved that way.
Or you could try returning the LG and trading it for one that will fit your slot without further modification.

Hey,

Thanks for replying LG don't support Mac in anyway so I can't ask their helpline. I know there are other more suited drives but this drive is DVD RAM and less than £55! Seems like I'll end up shelling out the same on an external case at this rate :rolleyes:

You're probably going to be better off trying an external case than messing with the drive itself.

What I'd really worry about is if the drive will actually work with the Mac. You might want to open the case and pull the drive out, then connect it up and sit it someplace safe (drive cage maybe) but where you can still operate it. Start the computer and try it out to make sure the everything works properly (CD read, CD write, DVD read, DVD write). If it doesn't, then return it and buy a more compliant drive.

Return it and buy a Pioneer 106 or 107. Completely compatible with Apple apps, and fits.

Thanks bobw but I want a drive that does DVD RAM as I'm a sound technology student and have lots of big audio files to lug about. :)

I put a Pioneer Superdrive in my G4 mirrored drive door model. In order for the tray to come out through the opening in the case and work with the spring loaded door, I had to take the plastic piece off the front of the tray. You have to do this before you install the drive. Just insert a pin into the manual tray release, pull it out, and pop the front piece off the tray.

Just thought I'd post to say that it's working now. I've burnt my first DVD. So just for future reference the LG GSA4082B works fine in a G4 Dual 1.42 :) (and with iDVD!!!!)

Back