Five years after Carlton

RacerX

Old Rhapsody User
I'm sure that many of you have had a chance to read Jim Carlton's book Apple that was released back in 1997. I thought that we should revisit the end of his tale which (like so many before him) predicts that demise of Apple as being just on the horizon.

Carlton- 1998 additions
I began to question how many people would buy an iMac at $1,299, when a fully configured Pentium machines were available for well under $1,000.

Yeah, I guess I can see his point... unfortunately for him many people didn't agree with it and it became the single best selling computer product line on any platform.

Carlton- 1998 additions
But the odds aren't good that he (Steve Jobs) can do more than slow the fall, perhaps giving Apple a few more years before it is either gobbled up by a bigger company or finally runs out of customers.

I would point out that in the computer world a few years is a life time. And five years is a significant amount of the era of the personal computer (qualifying as far more than a few if you ask me). So where is the doom that he predicted? The doom that he "suddenly" could "see more clearly" after the debut of the iMac.

I would point out that for more than ten years people have been predicting that Apple's days are numbered (that number being more than 5000 I guess). And yet many of these same people could not for see the down fall of Digital or Compaq. And far worse than those has been the fall of Gateway! I can't think of any other computer company pulling out of both the Asia and European markets and letting go of over 25% of it's employees surviving much longer (though I think the move from San Diego to Poway is more telling... I mean Poway of all places :confused: ).

I guess the thing about it is that companies like Apple, Silicon Graphics and Sum Microsystems have something that no PC company has been able to duplicate, and that is a very strong sense of self. None of them feel like they are just going through the motions (like so many of the PC makers of today). And no matter how they are doing, they still have a sense of pride with in their organizations. In the last couple days I've been on Microsoft's site quite a bit, and what struck me was the lack of... self-respect. The work of MBU aside, most Microsoft products feel cold and lifeless (as does most of the software developed for Windows). No matter what any PC company does, they are really no better than the next startup PC company because the only connection they have to the user is through Windows.

After writing Apple, Carlton said that he had not used a Macintosh and didn't feel that the experience would have made any difference in his views. I guess being a Windows user has given him a bleak out look on life... and no insight into the non-Windows computer world.

Hopefully he never predicts Apple’s success or we are all going to be in trouble.

Well, I never read that book, but thanks for the insight, RacerX... it's good to know that people who are horrible at predicting the future of technology can get their books ABOUT technology published.

That's what's interesting about the technology industry... only the diversified companies who can adapt can survive. Microsoft makes all sorts of software. IBM makes all sorts of hardware. Apple makes every part on the revolutionary consumer-friendly computer, as well as software. Sony makes computers as well as all sorts of digital devices...

The little pc makers... they come and go like fads... hehe. Anybody remember PeoplePC? And whatever happened to Packard Bell? Are they still in business?

Packard Bell is the marketleader in Belgium. But Apple has also the greatest marketshare in Belgium. Apple is very popular by Frenchspeaking people here.

maybe that is where we get the reputation of being elitist. the french are often sterotyped as rude snobs.:D ;)

never read the book either racerx and now i will probably never bother. but i agree, if he ever says apple is going to rule the computer world, then it will be time to dump your apple stocks:p

herve - your english is a little messed up. to say PB is the market leader and apple the greatest are contradictory. one must be ahead of the other or else equals. in which case the declaration of two superlative descriptions doesn't work. your english has been improving a lot lately. so i figure it is time to point things like this out occasionally. keep it up, you're getting it:)

Greatest Apple Marketshare (world)
Dutch Government: Packard Bell
City Brussels: Fujitsu-Siemens
French Government: Apple
Army: IBM
University: Dell

Back