Fixit

gigapet

Registered
Guys & gals, does anyone have a definitely positive recommendation for Norton Utilities type program that's compatible with Panther? My old copy of Norton appears to be useless.

The iPod is certainly great, but you want to _keep_ backups and you want to add songs to the iPod, which results in a space problem very soon. 'Decent' FW drive? Just get a housing and a large enough harddrive to put in it... I've bought a Maxtor 40 GB FW drive at the time and 'upgraded' the harddrive inside of that later on.

Norton's has cause problems in OS X. I wouldn't use it.
There is DiskWarrior, TechTool Pro and Drive10.

I have both DiskWarrior and TechTool Pro, newest versions, but if I could only have one of these, it would be DiskWarrior. This, or both along with the built in maintenance routines in OS X, and you have all you need. OS X runs maintenance in the early morning hours. You can get a Cron program like Cocktail at http://www.versiontracker.com, and use it to run the routines at your connivence. If you leave your machine on 24/7, you don't need to do this. There are also a number of other Cron programs available, you'll see when you search on VT.

Fryke mentions backups. That's always been the number one rule of computing for me. I backup important files daily using a backup program, to two different hard drives, and once a week, make a multisession CD. Doesn't matter what you use for backup, second, third internal drive, external drive, CD, DVD, etc, just as long as you do backup anything that you can't replace easily.

Back