Flash drive-reformatted to PC

starhorsepax

Registered
It was given to me for a computer class for backups, theirs are pc but I do need files off my mac at times. But the first time I transferred between the two it went 'blooey' for unknown reasons (properly ejected and all) :( And had to be reformatted. But instead of reformatting as FAT the pc geeks, (trying to be helpful) reformatted it NTFS! So now I can't get my stuff from mac to pc without using google docs. Is there anyway I can reformat this thing without spending more on software than it's worth? Oh and I'm running mac os x 10.5 leopard.

A FAT32 format with MSDOS partition should work fine on both Mac and PC as long as it's the first or only partition. NTFS is readable but nt writable on the Mac.

Yes, I can yank stuff off. I just wondered if there was a way for leopard to rewrite it back to FAT. I've read that there are ways for Snow Leopard although they sound rather complicated-terminal and all that.

You should have no trouble choosing he FAT32 format from that popup menu in Disk Utility.
To be clear, Disk Utilities identifies this filesystem as MS-DOS (FAT). It automatically selects FAT12, FAT16, or FAT32 based on the capacity of the drive. Disk Utilities does not allow the user to make this selection.

You may also want to consider installing NTFS-3G. This free NTFS driver will allow you to read and write NTFS drives. NTFS is much more robust than any version of FAT. With NTFS-3G installed, it will be unnecessary to reformat your NTFS-formatted drive.

Back