Flash: has it ever crashed for you?

Do you mean the authoring tool, or the browser plugin?

Flash causes Safari to unexpectedly quit on me all the time. If a page LINKS to a page with Flash, it tends to make Safari quit. Don't ask me why, but it happens often on many web forums. Any time there's a thread where someone links to a Flash site, Safari goes bye-bye unless I disable plugins beforehand. It doesn't happen with EVERY page that links to Flash sites, but the ones that do cause the crash cause it repeatedly and consistently.

the authoring tool. sorry i should have finshed the post before posting. basically, flash, for me, is a bloody irritating example of macosx's 'white blood cell' theory to crahing programs. i can be working on something, and then *just like that*, without any warning, suddenly flash dissappears, and i have to look down to the dock to confirm that it has in fact completely closed, without saving. the system is still stable! yey! all my work has gone, and then about 5 seconds later it tells me that flash mx 2004 unexpectedly quit. damn right, unexpected! it gives me no warning. until it's gone. safari has also done this once or twice.

I have used the Macromedia programs briefly on a Mac once, and it was an extremely unpleasant experience.

The browser plug-in is no better. Firefox stopped understanding SWF files embedded into pages after I re-installed the plug-in. (If you open a SWF file to view with Firefox, it will play fine; it's just embedded content that's the problem.) Safari crashes if there's any trace of Flash too.

Any time I have to visit a site with Flash, I just use Opera. It seems to be the only one that is really compatible with it.

the authoring tool. sorry i should have finshed the post before posting. basically, flash, for me, is a bloody irritating example of macosx's 'white blood cell' theory to crahing programs. i can be working on something, and then *just like that*, without any warning, suddenly flash dissappears, and i have to look down to the dock to confirm that it has in fact completely closed, without saving. the system is still stable! yey! all my work has gone, and then about 5 seconds later it tells me that flash mx 2004 unexpectedly quit. damn right, unexpected! it gives me no warning. until it's gone. safari has also done this once or twice.

I've had the same thing a few times with Photoshop for some reason. Only other thing I had running was ITunes. I had two or three not so large images up in there and then nothing.

hmm, no problems here, sorry you have problems everyone, flash apps load so fast and play fine, never experienced a crash, Java works well here on my machine, some galleries sites might hang with the spinning beach ball but I blame the html codes, I always use Safari now that it logs into my bank accounts.

Is it just older machines trying to handle Tiger? If so I will be reluctant to update to Leopard when it's released...

it's not the plug in, it's Macromedia Flash Mx 2004 Pro. and it's not old hardware, it's a dual G5, less than a year old.

I've read (I think on Macromedia's Web site) that the most common reason for a Macromedia software crash is a corrupted preference file. Find the Flash preference file and try deleting it. It is named Flash 8 Preferences (or Flash 7 Preferences, if that's your version). The location is 'Macintosh HD/Users/username/Library/Preferences'. Once you delete the file, restart Flash. Also, if that doesn't clear it up, delete it again and also delete the com.macromedia.flash.7.plist file in the same location (if you are using Flash 7 - it doesn't appear that Flash 8 has this file).

Try that out and see how it works for you.

Back