Flash iPod Mini

Would make sense. The Flash drive would save on battery power, giving them more juice for a color screen.

Sounds good to me - I'd buy one :)

Colour screen is nice but not really needed until there's video. At least for me. I mean, the white iPods with colour screen look nice, but they don't lure me into upgrading from my b/w 4G iPod 40. (If I stay with my plan, I'll end up with a 6th gen iPod with 160 GB harddrive, because so far I had a 2nd gen 10 GB and a 4th gen 40 GB. ;))

I like the Flais idea because of the very low weight.

I don't this Flash will replace all HDD. It is just pushing HDD towards larger capacities. And these capacities will be required for new media... like Video Podcasting. Do you imagine how much money Friends would have done if all girls could have pod-registered for $0.99 per show ?

fryke said:
Colour screen is nice but not really needed until there's video. At least for me. I mean, the white iPods with colour screen look nice, but they don't lure me into upgrading from my b/w 4G iPod 40. (If I stay with my plan, I'll end up with a 6th gen iPod with 160 GB harddrive, because so far I had a 2nd gen 10 GB and a 4th gen 40 GB. ;))

a colour screen is a much nicer prospect than simply video. think how much easier it is to use a colour phone over a B+W. i personally would love a colour ipod, and NOT for video or photo's, just for everyday pleasant use. it 'd feel more like itunes in my pocket that way.

and if there's a 4gb flash drive, i'll have one just for the sheer prospect of not having to burn dvds for transferring stuff!

a 4gb colour flash ipod would probably replace my 40gb.

A colour phone is certainly not easier to use than a b/w phone. B/w phones' screens can be read in any light, whereas some colour screens do a very bad job at that. Also, picking up calls and initiating them is a matter of key presses and it's all about the navigation of menus... Besides that: A 4gb colour flash ipod would probably _add_ to my 40GB iPod. I wouldn't give that one away, since I enjoy having all my music accessible at all times - and not just 20-30 percent...

I'd counter that many non-color LCDs can not be read well in any light as well. This has always been a problem of LCDs in general.

I'd say that one of the basic requirements of a color screen on iPod would be high viewability.

As it is, I do have a big personal problem with my 3G iPod's screen, in that it's often VERY difficult to read under various lighting conditions, and the very low refresh of the LCD means that anything moving becomes very "blurred". Depending on angle, light and contrast settings, I can never read song names if they're scrolling, for example.

In my very brief experience in the stores, the color screens seemed to be MUCH more viewable under various conditions - that'd be my reason for buying one.

I don't know why they don't make decent active matrix (TFT) greyscale screens anymore. Those were actually the best thing in my opinion. Sure: No colour. But a PowerBook 180, for example, you could use in any light conditions. Direct sunlight? Just disable the backlight of the screen, because the sunlight's bright enough. And activematrix made it quick enough to not let it smear...

I just wanted to say that "easy to use" doesn't need colour. ;)

Back