Flash Player Crashes 10.4.11 Every Time

Tronman

Registered
Hi all

I did a search but didn't find quite this issue. I'm running a Quicksilver G4, with GigaDesigns 1.6GHz single G4 upgrade. 512MB RAM, nVidia GF6200 256MB video card. I can do video all day or play games and it is rock solid. UT2003 is not a problem. But as soon as I hit a web page with lots of flash content, such as my e pets.com, a kids website having to do with some of my daughter's toys, the computer will be locked up in ten minutes for sure. It won't make it through a five minute Youtube video most of the time either. I've tried reinstalling the flash player from Adobe's site to no avail.

I thought it was running hot so I opened it up and ran it exposed, and the CPU cooler is cool to the touch when it locks up, so probably not a heat issue. It doesn't matter whether I use Firefox or Safari, same deal.

Is there something I can change, delete, or reinstall? a corrupt plist somewhere? I'm kind of at my wit's end here. The same executable runs the eMac just fine on the same site, so I'm thinking the trouble is specific to this Mac.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Looks like it's something with the flash plug.
Do you have any Safari plugins, other than for flash? Maybe those could interfere.
Does this occur also when you use anohter browser, e.g. Camino or Firefox?

One thing that may make it easier to manage (if it's the plug.. reinstall it. Or keep deleting Safari cache often enough if that helps) would be to use Safari Stand http://hetima.com/safari/stand-e.html to load manually only what you want to see. So the desired youtube videos but not the 20 flash ads on the other sites you visit.

I had the exact same problem on my 10.4.11 version (mac book). All of a sudden, I couldn't go to espn.com or youtube. On espn.com, every one of my browsers (safari, firefox and camino) would hang within a second of hitting the page. On youtube, as soon as I finished watching a video it would happen. I could speculate but what's the point?

Anyway, I solved my problem by downgrading my flash player. First, you have to uninstall the flash player that you have. Close all browsers and download this uninstaller. Run it, then restart your machine. Not sure if that's necessary, but I did it. Next, get the previous version of flash here. It's the 74.7MB download. The 9r115 version of flash is the one that's crashing for everyone. I installed the 9r47 version and haven't had a problem since doing that. When you unzip the download, you'll see a number of other 9+ versions as well.

It seems that Macromedia isn't all that gung ho about finding a solution to this problem, so your best bet is to downgrade for now. I haven't read the specs to see what's the difference between the two releases. However, I haven't noticed any issues with the 47 version. Good luck.

Back