Flash swf quirks

rastermon

Registered
I've produced some swf movies 1024x768 30 fps...
I'm getting occasional scan line problems.. Its as if the monitor refresh rate lags behind or something.. but only for about 10 - 20 scanlines. It has an effect like you smacked the monitor. Any suggestions for solving this?
I figure 30fps will give me the smoothest motion, but I wonder if there is a better frame rate.

HDTV (720p) is 60fps...but that's (framerate) probably not the issue. They say the human eye can't really discern anything above 24fps...to a point I agree. However higher framerates do help with, say, perceived flicker.

What are the specs of the machine you're using to play it? Chances are your problem is there. Flash isn't known to be the most efficient plugin on a Mac...your movies are twice the 'usual size' of most flash movies too.

I built it on a mac, and exported a PC standalone projector. It happens on my 933 G4 as well as a number of desktop and laptop PCs. I suspect it is related to the size. but unfortunately I need it to be that size to accomodate screenshots. (the Movie is a demo of our software) If I shrink it, we'd lose all the screenshot detail. If any of you have tried to scale a screenshot, you know what I mean. Text gets funky, and 1 pixel lines are inconsistent.
Thanks for the info

How many raster images do you have in your flash? The flashing could be your movie trying to process the more complex raster images along with vector. Do you have a sample of the movie to show us?

I use 24fps to mimic real film, and give the motion a bit more time to move (extend your tweens in your flash file). Any faster and you won't really notice much difference--it'll just be a bigger file, I think.

Let us know how this progresses. :)

Back