flashing folder with a ? mark on osx 9

sadcalie

Registered
got a hand me down iMac with both osx 9 and 10.4.11 on it. tried to set up airport on it but it shows no airport at all in 10.4.11 so I went to start up disk to see if it was in on the 9 partion and everything I clicked on says missing something or other or not able to find so I thought well I would use disk utility and see what it could do for me it did it's thing and when done showed lots of problems so I clicked repair...when it was done it says everthing was repaired do you want to restart your computer? clicked yes. came back with a flashing finder folder with a ? mark!! Problem is the computer has no disks that came with it so what if anything can I do???? please help I also have a iPhone and now this is my only computer and I have no way to use iTunes for it.....

You can use the original disks (if the original owner can find them) or the retail version of a fitting OS X version (10.4 or 10.5 if it can run that) to reinstall the operating system. The operating system, however, does *not* come with iLife.

OR . . . you did not define a start-up disk.

This I have done--I had a Widdle Pismo with separate OS 9 a OS X partitions. If you do not define a start-up, they can get confused.

"But I thought it finds one by default?"

Yup, it is suppose to do that. Sometimes it does not in my experience. I can also do that with OS 10.4.11 when I have booted on my external, shut down, disconnect the external, and reboot--forgetting I was on an external. My external is a "mirror." My Mac sometimes will get confused and show a "fancy" ? suitcase!

To get out of that, I will reboot with the "Option" key and it will ask me which disk to start. If I read you properly, you might have to do that.

Otherwise, as fryke notes, you may have to re-install the systems.

Since everything is repaired, it may be that. It also may be that your OS 9 is not "blessed."

So . . . try when you are in Disk Utility to define your start-up disk. If your OS 9 and OS X partions are bootable, they should show up as separate disks.

--J.D.

Back