Flashing LaCie500 GbHardDrive+DiskStuck

Peluche

Registered
There are two items that I seek your comment on.

Last week I inserted a back up disk into my MacBookPro and Norton Virus proceeded to analyze it and it got stuck on one file and I could not stop the analysis and could not eject the disk. I rebooted.

The disk still would not come out. I rebouted again. Finally the disk came out but the computer seemed stuck on eject mode - reinsertion (with no disk inserted) and no way to stop the action. I could not put a new disk in because it seemed that the slot was blocked by "teeth" clamped down as if there was a disk in place. After a while the teeth lift and I am able to insert a disk and if it stays in it then becomes readable and it tested recordable. I will take it to be reapaired at my local Apple center here in Paris. Why do you think that the Norton Analysis may have set this defect in motion?

My other problem seemed to have happened at the same time (or as a result?). My LaCie 500 Gb Hard Drive USB 2.0 has been working well each time I turned it on: the light on the drive was green and the Icon would mount on my computer. Several times before the disc getting stuck my computer had trouble and I had to rebout (force quit) when the hard drive was connected. This had happened a few times before and there had been no problem to the LaCie. But after the disk problem I tried to connect the hard drive to find some of the files that I had on the disk that got stuck; the light on the hard drive flickers and is alternately orange,green and there is that clicking sound.

(I had saved many of the files that I have on the LaCie but not all of course). Do you think that the crash has been fatal or is ther a chance that I can get it fixed?

Thank you for the time you have taken to answer these two questions.

PS is there a reliable external hard drive that you recommend since you say that you don't encourage us to use LaCie?

Back