Floppy in OS X

Kris

Registered
Hi,

Why Apple doesn't ship their newest machines with Floppy Discs is totally undertandable. But some of us still needs to use them...

The Floppy Discs work fine in OS X, - as long as they are Mac-formatted. Why is this? In the older systems you where able to read files that where located on PC-formatted discs. They would act like normal floppys, but they would have this PC icon insted fo the Mac OS floppy icon. But not in OS X [ver. 10.1.2]. Now I can't seem read my files anymore.

Anyone had the same problem? Can it be solved?

Kris

Umm I don't know buddy. I'm in 10.1.3 and PC floppies work fine for me, I use them every week. What exactly happens when you stick it in the drive?

Thank you for your reply.

The floppy disc icon apperas normally on the desktop when I put in the floppy. But when I open the disc, the file-icons are all blank, and some of the names doesn't appear right. I tried with several discs, but they're all the same. When I put in formatted discs, the files get the icon of the program that it was created with, - as in previous Mac OS'.
Opening the files in an unformatted disc is not possible, not even if I chose the right program or open the files from within the program.

I have concidered updating to 10.1.3, but people here seems to have a lot of trouble with it. Or is it worth it?

Kris

Hello
Me to, I use PC floppies, and it work fine. I run 10.1.3 without any problems, no crashes, no frozen UI ...
I think you should install this update.

popey

Before you update, let me add this: Floppies have always worked fine for me in X, since 10.1. So I don't think updating will help you out much. It seems like the problem lies more in how Windows saved to your disks.

Since I have never really had a problem with PC/Mac floppy discs, I don't really know of a good fix, hopefully someone else can help out...

Thank you all for your help.

My Floppy Drive is made by LaCie, and I'm using the driver that came with it.

The floppys that seems to be messed up has been used on a Mac before, not a PC (Windows). And the disc itself seems to work fine, but the files don't.

Maybe it's the disc? Can this error appear if it's too old?

Kris

Hi,

I've recently bought a pocketdrive, which i use on both pc and mac.
This drive is formatted as "fat 32" in os9 it sees the drive perfect, but in osx it says it's unreadable.

Anyone any help for this?

Thanks

Thank you for your help, testuser.

If I copy the files from the floppy to the hard drive they still don't work. I think the floppy is just too old and full of bad-blocks, - as you said.

I think I will try repair it in an older version of Mac OS (on one of my other Macs), and if that doesn't work, I just have to face it; It's dead... :( That's life.

Kris

Back