.flv files to .wmv, or even able to be played?

mediafun2001@ya

Registered
Hi folks,

I'm trying to view saved .flv files on my Mac, and it seems that the entire system of saving, watching, and converting these files is much easier for PC people. I am familiar with a lot of the available software for the first step in the chain--just saving the .flv files themselves, and then being able to watch them from their place in my hard drive--and it seems that a lot of the options become difficult when put up against Mac strictures. For instance, I downloaded a few files from a site using the Javimoya downloader (found here: http://javimoya.com/blog/youtube_en.php, I'm *not* advocating this thing, as I'm not even sure it works properly for Mac!!!!) , and the files came to my hard drive, and it looked like they were okay when changed over to have the .flv extension. Then when I downloaded one free viewer (just made for .flvs) at the site called "thisisnotlondon.com" it could read the clips but stopped them (and the viewer itself was not very sophisticated)--corrupt files possibly, or just an inferior player? (I'm very unskilled at all this, I don't know.)

I then downloaded the most highly praised player of these files and many others, the VLC player, which downloaded to my machine like a charm, but would only play my "normal" files as quick as could be, and couldn't recognize the .flvs for some reason. Is there some foolproof method to download .flv clips and just be able to watch them from your own hard drive? PC users seem to have no trouble at all with any of the above (and in fact, can "create" viewable .flvs by rewriting the URLs of the files that are already in their caches--I couldn't *find* the files in my cache, so I'll assume it was another dead-end meant only for PCs).

I'd really most like to get these flash-files to become more conventional ones, like .wmvs, Quick Time, whatever. Again, there are conversion items, like CinemaForge 2.0 (found on download.com for PC folk, it takes an ".exe" execution) that are supposed to work like a dream for PCs, but I couldn't find an applicable item for Macs. Are any of these steps do-able with a Mac, either with free software or with very low-priced (again, found an under-50-dollar solution that would take flash files to DVD-rs, and it was only for PCs). Is there any way to do this without tearing my hair out and not being able to view even the ones that are saved to my hard drive? Thanks SO much to anyone who answers this with any good info.

Ed

Yes, MPlayer plays them flawlessly. But I don't recommend the version mdnky linked to. Use this one instead. It's the newer, official version.

As for conversion, use ffmpegX.

Back