Folder Security

ont think you can do that without downloading some extra software, but appling permissions will do the same, just instead of typing in a password everytime you want to open the folder, all you have to do is login and out, the default method of doing this is to right or ctrl click on the folder and open get info, the info menu will allow you to lock other users from opening the folders, as long as all the data in the folder is also locked, other users, including admins, will not be able to see the contents of the folder, of course there are ways to get around that but the average user wont be able to as long as you dont leave your account or the admin acount logged in

Well you can set priviledges for folders and any documents. Just click apple plus I and change the priviledges from there, so you can ghange that only you can acces those files and also the root user. But that doesnt help if someone uses your computer when youre signed in..

There is at least one shareware called cloak it, which can make somefolders invisible and password protect them, maybe you should check that one, you can find it from versiontracker.

tomi

You can password-protect your entire Home folder, so that when you're logged out, nobody will be able to hack into your files (well, unless they crack the encryption, but OS X uses government-level encryption, so that's no easy task if you use a good password).

Another method I sometimes use it to create encrypted disk images with Disk Utility. Not as convenient as simple encryption of files and folders, but it works, and it doesn't require any third-party programs, so I'll be able to use my encrypted files on any OS X machine.

While we're on the topic, remember how OS 9 let you encrypt individual files? Why didn't Apple include that feature in OS X? It was very handy.

Back