folder turned into a file

Ciraxl

Registered
Hello,
this is my first post here, I hope you can help me.

I've been asked to upgrade the disk of a macbook pro (MacOsX 10.5.2), so I cloned it with superduper and I've switched the old hard disk with he new one.

After I've started the system everything but Entourage worked, so I checked the disk, and I found that Documents folder has disappeared, and I found an empty plain text file instead of it. Documents stack in the dock now shows a curious question point icon, and there's no trace of any of the file and folder that were inside of Documents.

I've put the original disk in the MacBook Pro, but I found that it was identical to his clone.

I've also tried to use Nucleus Kernel and Boomerang Data Recovery to find all the lost stuff, but they found nothing.

I don't know what to do, I have to recover all the data, mails and the other stuff which was inside, but I don't know if it is possible and how could this be done.

In Windows I had to recover data from deleted folders, even from corrupted partitions, and I succeded in finding the files I was looking for, sometimes I had to rename the files I found, but I succeded in recovering client's data nearly everytime.

Now I'm very confused, as I've always thought this kind of accidents could not happen in a Mac enviroment.

What can I do? Is there any kind of data recovery service able to restore Documents directory from its file status?

Davide, from Italy

Thank you for reading, thank you for your help

Oooh, you might have been bitten by the well-know Mac OS X bug where you can clobber a folder with a file of the same name. However, if you're lucky, you might have accidentally added an extension onto the file that makes the Finder think it's a bundle or some other type of resource. "Get info" on the file, and uncheck "hide extension." if there's one there, try removing it and see if it turns back into a folder.

Checked, there's no extension.

In "Get Info" I found class: text only, haw can I revert it into a class: Folder?

Thank you!

Back