folders first...how?

cglenn

Registered
In finder, and within a folder, how do I get sub-folder to be listed first, then files not in those sub-folders. For example, I have a top level folder called Consult. Within that folder, there are files, and there are folders too. Finder listes *everything* alphabetically, so that files and sub-folders are all mixed together. I'd like it to look more like explorer, where the folders are listed alphabetically first (and files within these folders are already alphabetically), then the files not in sub-folders.

Can this even be done?

Thanks Ben. That thread seems to indicate recent versions won't let that happen. I've always had folders first. It is the way I think; Hierarchically.

I've not been a Windows user, so I've never had a need for double sorts like that, which, for me, can provide confusing results.
Anyway -
You can sort a finder window list by 'kind', which puts all the folders together.
One of the finder helper apps may allow what you want.
Path Finder is one that a lot of folks like - it can replace the Finder completely, if you like.
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/16678

Following on DeltaMac's comments, what is your actual visual behavior when looking at a list of files and folders? Do you search for an item by scrolling through the list or by typing the first one or more letters of its name? Do you use Spotlight to find items instead of browsing your hierarchy? There may be other easier ways to find the items you seek.

Thanks DeltaMac and earthsaver. I'll look at the Path Finder soon; I've bookmarked it. The arrange by kind is exactly what I wanted. So I paid for Apple Care, and they could not figure out how to do it. Another PC to MAC thing...'arrange' is not a word I'm familiar with. I searched for 'sort,' and all I got was for the chinese language!

One thing I cannot understand is the lack of an option to sort folders first, then files, like on Windows. I'm not asking for a change in the operating systems defaults. I understand why Mac users like everything sorted together. I just want the option.
smileynormal.ico

I use LaunchBar to access most Finder items and it sorts folders at the top. Or, there's Path Finder, which gives you that option.

Back