Folding@home participation and Mac evangelism.

iMacaholic

Registered
I apologize if this post is in the wrong place in the forums. If a team already exists here, then thank you for contributing to such a worthwhile cause. I am asking all visitors here to consider joining Team MacOS X (1971) for the Folding@home project. Currently we are growing in numbers and rank and are trying to gain more recognition for Macs and MacOS X as an excellent platform for distributed computing projects. At present we are in an US (Mac) vs. THEM (PC) battle with Team Silent PC Review. Team Silent PC Review has some serious vendor muscle behind them (ARM Stealth Systems) at the moment. Please think about contributing to this project. The Pande Group at Stanford University released a new Altivec enhanced version of the core in October 2003 that speeds up work unit processing considerably on G3, G4, and G5 processors. Nearly on par with PC folding machines. No matter if you fold anonymously you will be contributing to a great cause. Feel free to drop by our forums and check things out if you wish to learn more. We have many members that will help answer any questions that you may have in this forum or the team forum. Thanks again for your time and consideration.

http://www.teammacosx.org

Thanks to all those new members that have joined in this project. The response has been tremendous! Please be sure to stop by the team forums and have a look around. Fold on my friends!

I'll add my voice (keyboard?) to iMacaholic's to encourage you to check out the Folding@Home site and start your Mac folding. How often do you have a chance to use your computer to benefit humanity? My eMac has folded proteins associated with Alzheimer's, osteogenesis imperfecta and HIV and is contributing to a better understanding of these diseases and eventually to cures and preventions.

The folding client is a cinch to install, and once up and running, stays in the background of all your machine's other processes, so you never notice it when playing games, burning CD's, despeckling photos or sending giant attachment files. At the same time, folding is fun - the GUI version of the folding client will display a model of the protein your Mac is working on at the moment (changing as the calculation proceeds) and it's rewarding to check the project stats pages and watch your name rise through the ranks day by day as your contributions accumulate.

Folding@Home is a terrific project, especially for Macs, and Team Mac OS X is a terrific bunch of people to fold with. The team forums are a great place to ask questions and find tips on folding and other Mac related topics. Drop in and check out the discussions - I did, back in October, which is why I fold with Team Mac OS X now.

Good people and good fun, in a good cause.

I joined a few days ago. Folding on my two macs and dusted off the old dell.

Join and help out the team and a good cause.

Heh, I was just about to post a topic encouraging all here to join, when I decided to maybe check and see if someone else had posted something first...

Anyway, it really is a great benefit to science and hope that more from here will join. The competition aspect of it get really fun and you can't help but get interested on your stats. The team is currently 25th and going strong.

I'm now folding on three, make that four, computers come this afternoon.

Thanks to all who joined the team! Folding can use all the people it can get, and TeamMacOSX can use any who wish to join! ;)

We are about to be passed by a PC team Silent PC Review that we passed over a month ago. They got some major muscle from ARM Systems that put them over our production and now we need more help. If you are interested but have not had time to join, now is the time!

HTTP://teammacosx.org

NoahJ

NoahJ said:
Thanks to all who joined the team! Folding can use all the people it can get, and TeamMacOSX can use any who wish to join! ;)

Hey Hey Hey! How's it going fellow Folders!

I just want to say to everyone here who is considering Folding@home that Noah and the rest of the guys at Team Mac OS X #1971 are really some of the best bunch of people I have ever met on the net.

As a moderator and assistant admin for another site, I can tell you these guys at Team Mac OS X is who we want to represent our Mac platform and our charitable efforts to the scientific community.

A lot of serious moving and shaking has gone on with this team in just the last few months alone, entire web sites have joined the effort because together we are showing that Mac users may be a minority, but we are dedicated minority and worthy of recognition in the eye's of the world.

So get onboard, ask questions and lets "Fold" together.

The very life you save, may well be your own!

Sailfish

Sailfish is right. TeammacOSX is a great group of people. Folding is a great cause and a good use of idle processor time. I used to run SETI@home but the Folding@home is a more worthwhile cause IMHO.

Take a look. :)

Back