Font Auditing Tool?

FlashMac

Registered
Can anyone recommend any font auditing applications? Ideally network, so I don't have to go out to each machine.
Each machine has Suitcase Fusion which came with Font Doctor, which looks pretty handy for consolidating it all when I come to do that, but I'd like to get an idea of data size (may be worth getting a font server) and duplication before I get into the individual machines.

There has been no control or restraint on the fonts here, so its a total mess and I'm going to sort it out. Unfortunately its such a mess I'm not really sure where to start, but I figure you can't go wrong with an audit.

Any help or advice on this painful issue would be much appreciated.

FlashMac

What actually does a font auditing application do?
does it do checking for license, font version, file size ... etc ?

Ultimately, you need to get Suitcase Server - unfortunately it's not Intel Mac ready. I don't know of any apps that will do what you want.

Of course the best thing you could do without such an app is to have each user copy their entire Font collection from their machine on to the server, then run Font Doctor to weed out all the dupes, broken fonts, etc. From there, if you have G5s or older machines, you can run Suitcase Server or at the very least have them delete ALL fonts from their machine and copy the newly created/fixed font folder back to their individual machines.

Many thanks for your replies. We currently have a combination of Suitcase X1 and Suitcase Fusion clients, and no server app. Ideally I'd like to get Suitcase X1 Server but with the seat licenses we're looking at £20K +. I'm currently investigating Font Agent Pro, which including seats would come to about £4K +.

If anyone can share personal experiences of Font Agent Pro it would be much appreciated.

MacGizmo, the course of action you recommend (copying all the fonts off all the Macs) is my first step. The most fonts I've found on one Mac so far is 13,000. I do have legal copies of Font Doctor though, so I may use this for the scanning and license checking.

Back