Font Book...

Don't even say that! That would be the lamest thing I've ever seen. What does anyone care about font management in TextEdit?

I need a fast OS-level Font manager with auto-activation (although I'll sacrifice auto-activation for OS-level benefits) and OpenType support for:

InDesign
Illustrator
Photoshop
everything else

in that order

If FB is cocoa only I'm going to be ticked.

CAN SOMEBODY VERIFY THIS? Grrr...

I only tried Word (which is a carbon app, right?) but it seemed to work. Don't know what the other guy's talking about.

one important note:

it seems font book takes your fonts out of whatever folder you activate them from and puts them in your /user/library/fonts folder :(

SO BE VERY CAREFUL AND WATCH YOUR FILES SO YOU DONT DELETE ANYTHING ACCIDENTILY

This definitely sounds bad... Checking... Yep. It's like Jason said. Should be a user preference, I think... Does it put fonts back where they belong, if you disable/remove them from Font Book? Mine doesn't actually remove single fonts from font book... :/

Well, I have a backup of my Fonts folder, of course, but still... There's room for improvement, I guess...

My question would be: Where DOES it put the fonts if you deactivate them? 'somewhere'?

only thing with that, this is what causes the performance hit when enabling and disabling fonts, because it is actually moving the files...

or at least that seems like that would explain the speed to me, also font book crashes on me alot, but i also have over a 1000 fonts installed and activated ;)

woah... doesn't that have a big impact on starting applications like Word? (scanning fonts...)

i have actually noticed a very minimal impact as compared to other programs, like suitcase or when on os9, ATM.... so they must be doing something right :)

So, can anyone say that FontBook will eventually become an alternative for Font Reserve and Suitcase? Or is it just something to play around with using Apple's own apps?

As mindbend said, it'll need to work across all progs to be useful - then it might give Extensis and Diamondsoft cause to be peeved.

Unfortunately, in it's present state, FontBook is a simplified version Suitcase

You can create your own sets (i.e. Projects)... but cannot create a subset (i.e. ProjectNo345_WebSite). I suppose you could add the project sets at the top level.

Also, I didn't seem to get auto-activation when I added a new font (in apps such as Photoshop).

But, it is clean and fast... maybe it'll be improved upon by the time of the release.

it works for me, cause i basically keep it simple, i either activate it, or have it already activated or not activated... i dont need all this auto crap, cause sometimes i dont want the font on, on purpose :)

so IMHO it replaces suitcase etc just fine :)

Sorry, I didn't mean auto-activation (just realised what that is!) I mean, the font didn't show up in Photoshop (whilst Photoshop was open), when added.

Auto-activation I am willing to sacrifice for an OS-level font manager, but I absolutely will not tolerate having to quit and restart an application.

Any info on how well this works?

Not very well here... again though, you would expect Apple to sort this out come release time. There is a good indication that Font Book is far from finalisation, since, the preferences menu is greyed out (you would assume something like this would have some preferences!)

Back