font issue

cmsimison

Registered
I'm a graphic designer new to OSX without OSX compatible software yet, so I'm running Quark, Illustrator and Photoshop through the classic environment. I'm having a font issue, particularly in Quark, where the fonts appear bitmap on the screen and in print (even though I have screen and printer fonts installed in the system font folder). I'm working with the same font in a logo in Illustrator and don't have that issue there.

Any ideas of what I'd need to do? I thought maybe I had to install fonts in 2 places (one for OSx and one for classic) but they already exist in my "classic" system font folder.

thanks

Do you have ATM installed in OS 9? If you do, turn it off. Also, are you using a TrueType, Postscript Type 1 or OpenType font? These are the ones that work smoothly in OS X.

You need to remember that while in Classic, OS X is the Mothership. All the control panels in OS X take over and most of the Classic extensions and control panels that duplicate OS X are rendered useless.

In addition, Quark has not been optimized for OSX yet (version 6, they say, is on the way--but who knows when) which probably means also that it won't work as well in Classic. Just a guess.

So is there any way to get the Classic version of Photoshop to see the OS X installed fonts? All I get is the basic set that came with Photoshop.

thanks,
bear

If you're going to be using OS X full-time, you'll want a font utility and the best I've tried so far is Font Reserve by DiamondSoft. It's not as nice as ATM Deluxe was in OS 9, but works fairly well. You can activate fonts in OS X and have them be available in Classic.

I used Suitcase in the 10.1.5 System I had at my ex job and I had no problems with fonts at all. Quark, Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash and Golive were seeing them with no problems at all in Classic... Check it out!

Howyiz Lads,

Font issues in OSX is the mother of all problems, specially when you're running classic apps, so I run a two tiered system and have removed a lot of fonts from the classic fonts folder (in system folder), /library/fonts and /system/fonts specifically helvetica neue and gillsans. I run suitcase for my osx apps and have removed the suitcase bridge in the extensions folder of classic and run my atm for xpress and acrobat distiller in classic. This solutions seems to work without a hitch until I can go fully native with Xpress. You will not need distiller in OSX as you can just save as pdf in the print window though the graphics seem to be a bit chunky.

Nialler

Back