Font issues in OSX Tiger

ledesign

Registered
I recently switched from OS9 to OSX Tiger. I love my new Mac, but I've been having weird font messages - but no apparent real problems. When I'm in Quark XPress, I'm constantly told that several of my fonts are bad (Times, Optima, Zaph Dingbats and others). However, the printing houses I use haven't had problems and everything seems to be working other than the error messages.
I've tried to engage my 30 day free trial with Microsoft products (Word, Excel, etc.) though and as it "optimizes font performance" I get TONS of error messages saying that I've got all kinds of bad fonts. I can't get the programs to start at all.
Any help? Do I REALLY have font issues? What should I do?

ledesign said:
I recently switched from OS9 to OSX Tiger. I love my new Mac, but I've been having weird font messages - but no apparent real problems. When I'm in Quark XPress, I'm constantly told that several of my fonts are bad (Times, Optima, Zaph Dingbats and others). However, the printing houses I use haven't had problems and everything seems to be working other than the error messages.
I've tried to engage my 30 day free trial with Microsoft products (Word, Excel, etc.) though and as it "optimizes font performance" I get TONS of error messages saying that I've got all kinds of bad fonts. I can't get the programs to start at all.
Any help? Do I REALLY have font issues? What should I do?
At least two of your applications say that you have font issues, so my guess is that you have font issues. You may first try to identify which of your fonts have the problems. As a first test, use Font Book to go through your fonts one-by-one. There are also third-party font utilities that you may try. If you can't repair them, then you will have to reinstall your bad fonts from their original sources.

Back