Font Issues Mac OS 10.6.7

catinnj

Registered
Hello!

I've been pulling my hair out all day trying to fix a font issue that happened today. I work in prepress, and I always load fonts via my user/library/fonts folder. For some reason, that stopped working today. No matter what fonts I drop into that folder or the root library/fonts folder, none of my programs will recognize that the are loaded. Font Book, on the other hand does see them as being active. I've rebooted, nuked my font caches, tried another user and I'm out of ideas. So I've decided to attempt a cry for help out here in cyber world:) It's my work computer and I"m not actually in front of it, but I do know it's in Intel Mac Pro..not sure if it's quad-core..didn't really pay attention. But we did buy them new in Oct 2010.

I'll be back in the morning to see if anyone has any ideas to try when I get back to the office.

All and any help greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!
Cathy

If a user installs a new font at ~/Library/Fonts/, the font is available only to that user. If a root or Admin user installs the same font at /Network/Library/Fonts/, all network users can use the fonts (assuming that the network administrator has set up computers for this type of sharing).

You may get some information from here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2435

Thanks, but I already know all that:) The problem is that what is supposed to work is not. I've placed the fonts in both of these folders (~/Library/Fonts/ & Root/Library/Fonts) and the programs still won't recognize them as being loaded. I've been loading fonts for jobs this way for over 5 years, and it just stopped working yesterday morning.

Thanks again!

Thanks, but I already know all that:) The problem is that what is supposed to work is not. I've placed the fonts in both of these folders (~/Library/Fonts/ & Root/Library/Fonts) and the programs still won't recognize them as being loaded. I've been loading fonts for jobs this way for over 5 years, and it just stopped working yesterday morning.

Thanks again!
Well, you should not place fonts in two locations that are simultaneously visible. In the best case, you have duplicate fonts. It can go downhill from there. My suggestion to you is to remove the duplicate fonts from the ~/Library/Fonts/ folder.

@MisterMe - Thanks for trying to help,but they aren't in two locations. I tried the one folder and when it didn't work I moved them to the other folder and it still didn't work, so no dupes:) It has be be something corrupt somewhere....I mean it just stopped working yesterday for no reason....it's driving me crazy. Oh and to add to the confusion. TextEdit see's the fonts, Quark & Indesign do not...

Back