font viewer utility for x?

sithious

no longer a member
does anyone know of a good utility for os x with which i can preview fonts that aren't in my library/fonts folder?
i've got so many fonts that having them all in library/fonts slows down startup for freehand enormously and makes using the font panel even in stickies quite ridiculous... so i've only got my most frequently used fonts in the fonts folder, but i need something with which i can preview all the others that i've got stashed away elsewhere (my memory isn't that good ... :) ) i've checked versiontracker, but so far i've only ever found apps that can preview fonts that are actually installed...
any suggestions?

I don't know of any free or relatively inexpensive apps, but I recently purchased Extensis Suitcase 10 and it's freakin' great! I've got all my fonts organized in groups that I can turn on and off on the fly, without having to exit any programs or whatever. It was well worth the 100 bones I plopped down for it.

thanks for the suggestion ... :)
i think a hundred bucks is a bit too much for me, as i'm only a casual user, but it sounds like a cool app if you're pro ... :D

There's a shareware I downloaded recently (I can't remember the name), that allowed you to Enable and Disable fonts throughout the system (even Classic).

It has some really nice features, and it's inexpensive. WHen i get to my OS X box, I'll look it up and post additional info.

The developer also has a nice full featured Calculator, as well. I'm almost certain all of his/her products are Cocoa.

It's something like FontPreviewX, or FontEnablerX...

Stay tuned...

Back