Fonts are ugly in Word X!

kcmac

Registered
Why do fonts display so ugly in X? If I use TextEdit or Okito Composer, etc. fonts look great!

Why is this not true with Word? Has anyone found one that is nice to look at when you work?

Well, because it's made my Microsoft, the makers of Windows, which is ugly. Well, that's my best guess, anyways :p

I've only used Office 2001 and Word X Test Drive and I never really messed around with fonts in them, but I didn't notice anything too bad in there... I prefer AppleWorks 6 over Office anyways, just looks better and is easier to use... And the AppleWorks database features have always won me over.

they are ugly because office x is a carbon app, not a cocoa one. omniweb and okito are cocoa and use true anti-aliasing, office does not...

Originally posted by frgee
they are ugly because office x is a carbon app, not a cocoa one. omniweb and okito are cocoa and use true anti-aliasing, office does not...

Actually, as I understand it, Office is a bastardized child of Carbon and Cocoa. Must of the underlying code is Carbon, but it fully utilizes Quartz for all of it's interface, so there's got to be some cocoa thrown in there. Seems to me if they're using Quartz for imaging, it shouldn't have any problems with fonts. So I'm not sure what the deal is. All I know for sure is that if it were 100% Carbon, you could run it in 9, but you can't. You need 10.1 or higher

Originally posted by lombard
All I know for sure is that if it were 100% Carbon, you could run it in 9, but you can't. You need 10.1 or higher

Actually, only some carbon apps work in 9, if they have been specially designed to, like iTunes (I think). The finder is a pure carbon app, but won't run in 9. What's more, the finder has fine anti-aliassing, so it can't be that.

Bernie :eek:)

I think the Anti-Aliasing-Engine doesnt scal TrueType-Fonts very well. I have the same problem with spaces...

Question: Has anybody Suitcase for MacOS X in use? Problems???

Bye :) :)

Back