Fonts figured out

nickholl

Registered
Ive been struggling for ages trying to figure out how to use fonts in OSX - Ive just found out that you have to drag the fonts onto the actual fonts folder itself as opposed to inside the folder for them to work!

yet another PC trate added to OSX :(

I'm not sure what you mean here, can you explain?

I've added and deleted fonts numerous fonts without problems. Are you saying that you can't add a font by dragging and dropping that font file into an OPEN Font folder? But oyu have to drag it onto the closed Font Folder icon...?

This hasn't been my experience, so I might be missing something...

yep - thats whats Im saying :-( - it also wont recognise folders within the fonts folder for me - the fonts have to be outside of folders :-(

Um, we must be misunderstanding.

Fonts can be in one of five places for them to be recognized by OS X. The first is /Library/Fonts . This directory is NOT in your user folder. The second is /Users/yourusername/Library/Fonts . Obviously this is in your user folder. The third is /System/Library/Fonts. The fourth is in your Classic Mac OS System Fonts folder. The fifth is weird -- make a new window, and go to the "Computer" window by pressing Command-Option-C. Then double click on Network, and then on Library. If you make a Fonts folder in here, they will be accessible to the network.

I don't understand what your problem is, though, nickholl. You might have to relaunch applications or logout when you install new fonts for them to take effect.

dont worry about it - all I was trying to say was that to get the fonts working in those places (for me anyway) you have to drag the fonts onto the 'fonts' folder for them to work - if you open up the fonts folder and then drag them in - they wont activate - judt like on a pc. Its just a little anoying observation thats all :)

Back