Fonts giving me a headache

elspif

Registered
I can't get my fonts to work under OS X. I drag the whole lot into the '/users/spif/library/fonts' folder and they just don't appear, neither in photoshop or other programs. This is really frustating. I've tried '/library/fonts' but also no effect.

Later I find out that I need to put the files in the folder without being in a their own subfolder. So for example the univers font sits in a subfolder that contains about 10 files. So I need to put these 10 files in the font folder. So finally I got them to work.

If however i would want to remove the font. I need to see which files belong to this font (or font family) then remove them. Often though they do not have the same name. So finding the right files in a folder that will contain hundreds of files seems not much fun and equally as uneffective.

I searched around to check if there were solutions to this but it seems like there are only commercial programs that would cost me an extra 100 bucks. Also I checked at apple.com and there seems to be a font panel somewhere, so I searched on my machine and finally I find it from within my stickies app. What a place to put a tool like a font manager...? Ok I know it's in TextEdit aswell but still... why not put it in the system preferences? :confused:

Anyway the whole font thing is such a headache, because then there's about sixty different kinds of font types. You've got ttf, OpenType, Type1, then you've the different file types there's FFIL, dfonts, AFM to name a few.

It would be soooo much easier to just dump my fonts in whatever folder as long as it's a subfolder of the '/library/fonts/' folder and have it work. I'm needing to copy everysingle file that makes up a font and that is way too time consuming for me.

But then again maybe I'm doing something wrong. If so please help me out of my misery.

[edit]I think I made a mistake (Oops) :rolleyes: , this thread should be in the Mac OS X System & software forum, please change. thanx :) [/edit]

You do have the option of getting MasterJuggler or Font Reserve but since you have found a little bit about that font folder, you can manage them to exactly the way you want.
There is an entire section on Font managing in the book Mac OS X Little Black Book by Gene Steinberg.

He goes step by step to help you set the fonts the way you want it. The first thing is to log into the computer as Admin or owner. If you do not use mutiple Users, then once you get the book, you can start. It is Chapter 16 in the book.
I'd give you the instructions, but it would be pages long.

Back