Fonts giving me a headache

elspif

Registered
[this topic got lost (my error) in the Classis forum so reposted here]

I can't get some of my fonts to work under OS X. I drag the whole lot into the '/users/spif/library/fonts' folder and they just don't appear, neither in photoshop or other programs. This is really frustating. I've tried '/library/fonts' but also no effect.

Later I find out that I need to put the files in the folder without being in a their own subfolder. So for example the univers font sits in a subfolder that contains about 10 files. So I need to put these 10 files in the font folder. So finally I got them to work. If however i would want to remove the font. I need to see which files belong to this font (or font family) then remove them. Often though they do not have the same name. So finding the right files in a folder that will contain hundreds of files seems not much fun and equally as uneffective. Also it makes using fonts very cumbersome to use.

I searched around to check if there were solutions to this but it seems like there are only commercial programs that would cost me an extra 100 bucks. Also I checked at apple.com and there seems to be a font panel somewhere, so I searched on my machine and finally I find it from within my stickies app. What a place to put a tool like a font manager...? Ok I know it's in TextEdit aswell but still... why not put it in the system preferences?

Anyway the whole font thing is such a headache, because then there's about sixty different kinds of font types. You've got ttf, OpenType, Type1, then you've the different file types there's FFIL, dfonts, AFM to name a few. :confused:

It would be soooo much easier to just dump my fonts in whatever folder as long as it's a subfolder of the '/library/fonts/' folder and have it work. I'm needing to copy everysingle file that makes up a font and that is way too time consuming for me.

But then again maybe I'm doing something wrong. If so please help me out of my misery. :cool:

Back