fonts in OSX

keny

Registered
I have not tried this yet cause I wanted to ask first. Can I utilize my adobe type 1 fonts in osx? Can I drag and drop them from sys 9 to X, and will it work?

Ken

yes it will, though i don't remember if the screenfonts were necessary. just drop them into your /users/[username]/fonts directory and you should be golden.

you may have to log out first before they take effect.

oh, btw: X understands Mac Truetype, PC Truetype, Postscript, and Screenfonts (why, i don't know)

These are the fonts supported by Mac OS X:

TrueType
Postscript
Data Font Suitcases (.dfont) -> single file format
TrueType PC -> single file format
TrueType Collections

in OS 9.1 you still need to use ATM to see smooth fonts. In OSX you do not, but I found they were being extra smoothed and resulting in poor looking type under Photoshop. Most people wouldn't even notice it but for a designer its devastating. I'll need to wait for an update to Photoshop before I see an end to that.

OSX really needs something like Suitcase 9 built into the system. I thought for sure I would see something like that in OSX. But no, I need to clumsily throw all of my fonts into the system folder for each system I use, eating up space and opening a new door for errors.

photoshop operates under Classic and uses the fonts found in the System folder (and anything provided to the system through apps such as ATM and Suitcase).

The font smoothing in Photoshop is, therefore, the same as a pure 9.1 experience.

BTW: I absolutely recommend that only the very brave run Photoshop within the Classic environment. Photoshop has successfully crashed Mac OS X five times now within the past two weeks. Complete and total lockup. Some more amusing than others, but each required restarting the machine.

Originally posted by Hobeaux
BTW: I absolutely recommend that only the very brave run Photoshop within the Classic environment. Photoshop has successfully crashed Mac OS X five times now within the past two weeks. Complete and total lockup. Some more amusing than others, but each required restarting the machine.

I've been using PhotoShop in Classic since the second day of having OS X installed on my machine (the 25th of March) and I haven't had ANY problems. In point of fact, it has run faster under Classic then it ever has in 9.1 (timed differences using Action scripting and batch processing).

The font path is slightly different from what Hobeaux writes:
At least in my system the font directory can be found in

/Users/(user)/Library/Fonts

After a new installation this folder should be empty. Now simply drag and drop any available font files in there and they'll be available for that user instantaneously. In a multi-user environment (f.e. the whole family mom, dad and junior using the same Mac) of course every user will have to repeat the procedure...

No, if you want any fonts to be available to any user, put them in /Library/Fonts.

Same goes for pretty much anything else you want to have for every user. Instead of putting them in /User/username/Library/whatever-folder, just put them in /Library/whatever-folder.

HELP! i found a really cool font in OSX called transistor, but i can't seem to access it from the finder, let alone access it in 9, though it still shows up in photoshop in classic mode. Any ideas?

ace

If you are using suitcase 9 above.. make sure your os9 has ~atm(adobe type manager) and 'menu fonts' out of your extentions. You might want to make sure your suitcase extentions are the last to load too.

Check this out..
http://www.extensis.com/suitcaseten/fonts_and_osx.html

That will tell you what you need to know about using fonts between OSX and Classic.

Basicly, you have to your fonts in two places now.. one place for OSX applications and the place where you normally would put them for Classic applications.

max.

Back